Hey Soundguy???

/ Hey Soundguy??? #1  

Woodbeef

Veteran Member
You said that you had a Valmet? Which model was it? When and where did you dispose of it? What parts could you not get?

No,it is not a grey. Today they are known as Valtra. www.valtra.com

/ Hey Soundguy??? #2  
Lets see I got it in 89, and I believe it was a valmet 78 tractor.

We had a problem with the pto... took like 60 days to get some part from overseas.... that experience pretty much sold the tractor.... I've gotten parts for my yanmar grey tractor in the same week i order them... I let it go sometime in 97.

It was a nice tractor... I hope they are doing good.

Chris

/ Hey Soundguy???
More info if you could,sir....

That model is new to me. How big of a tractor was it? Did you purchase it new or used? Do you happen to remember how many speeds it had? What kind of engine was in it? Was it mfd? How much hp did it have?

Thanks for your time!!

/ Hey Soundguy??? #4  
Re: More info if you could,sir....

A bit foggy here... I bought it new from a tractor dealer in florida ( a massey fergusion dealer I believe )..a dn it was something like a 40hp tractor, 2wd.
five forward gears, 1 reverse.. I don't remember if it had a hi-lo range.... 3pt lift, cat1, pto ( weird pto.. had to get an adapter for it to use 'standard' impliments.
Had an air precleaner ( dry style ) on a stack. Always sounded like it knocked back then.. but then the yanmars have that distinct sound too.... must just be the 'foriegn diesel' sound. Ran good.... High gear was fast, low gear was.... not too bad.. but if you poped the clutch in low gear.. the front end would come off the ground easilly... I remember it had a light front end.. we had something like 4 or 5 faCTFACTOR WEIGHTS ON THE FRONT.
CHRISORY

/ Hey Soundguy???

Hey Soundguy,

Still can not place it as a Valmet........Interesting to say the least!!

How many cylinder was the engine? What color was it? By any chance do you happen to rember what the tag said the country of manufacture was?

/ Hey Soundguy??? #6  

I don't know how many cylinders, or a country of origin. But it was orange sheet metal, and most of the chassie was black.

I still have my original sales invoice from Sun Ray tractor, listing it as a new Valmet 78

we traded in a for 3000 on it at the time....

The only reason I happend to have the paperwork out was that in 97 I sold it to a guy starting a farm.. he got a gov't ag loan and bought the tractor.. then he sold the tractor, defaulted on the loan, and took off. A state officer contacted me a while back to get info on the sale, copies of documents, etc.. so they could prosecute the guy.... Every few months they call back and ask If I've heard from the guy ( guess they can't locate him).

Chris

/ Hey Soundguy??? #7  
Hey, Woodbeef, kind of a ghost :) !!

The Valtra tractors had been named "Valmet" in the past.
The design, if it is an 89 built, looks just like the Valtra, in Europe it was named 405 or 405 A (4WD), had a 3cyl. Volvo or Sisu engine, this I don't know exactly. Valmet took over the Volvo tractor-range in 1979. At 1989/90 You can have 5 coluors: Yellow, green, blue, white and red. The Volvo tractors all had been red.

Bernhard, Derichsweiler, Germany

/ Hey Soundguy???

Hey Soundguy,

OK then it's a Brazilian built Valmet(Valmet do Brazil) with a 4 cyl 3.9 litre MWM engine of 60 or so gross hp. They were a kinda weird looking dirty yellow color.

The pto on these were a little bit inset due to the portal final drives. So this would either make you use an adapter(shaft lengthener) or a longer pto shaft.

I wonder how many of these are floating around down south?

The Finnish made ones are more of what we are used to over here. Valtra is the fifth largest tractor manufacturer world-wide.

/ Hey Soundguy??? #9  

Hey.. now that rings a bell.. brazil... and yes,, we had to get some part for the pto. Color sounds about right.
I've never seen another one down here... I wonder how that dealer got it? As new? if I remember right, we had to order the part from the volvo/isuzu car dealership in ocala... sun-ray tractors was still in business.. but couldn't get parts... Now I'm wondering if that tractor was new or not.... perhaps a 'nearly new trade in?

Chris

"OK then it's a Brazilian built Valmet(Valmet do Brazil) with a 4 cyl 3.9 litre MWM engine of 60 or so gross hp. They were a kinda weird looking dirty yellow color.

The pto on these were a little bit inset due to the portal final drives. So this would either make you use an adapter(shaft lengthener) or a longer pto shaft."