Hey, if you're from ..... do you know?

/ Hey, if you're from ..... do you know? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
Hey, if you\'re from ..... do you know?

At a local Home and garden show last week I was talking with a vendor whose surname was familiar to me – same as my 1st cousin’s husband – and I asked the inevitable question “So do you know John?” As it turns out he didn’t but we began to talk about how often this happens and I remembered a story from a while back.
My wife and I were eating breakfast at a B&B near Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada when another couple came to the table. After introductions and the usual pleasantries about “where we were from” the gentleman of the couple said “We live about 400 miles west of Detroit. Now you said you’re near Peterborough? I know that area well. We used to come up there every summer when I was a kid.”
Not wanting to leave the conversation unfinished I responded by asking “Where did you go in Peterborough?”
The ensuing exchange went something like this:
Him “Well, it wasn’t really Peterborough, it was Bancroft.”
Me “Bancroft eh? Well, where in Bancroft?”
Him “Well it wasn’t really Bancroft, it was Maynooth.”
Me “Oh, where in Maynooth?”
Him “Actually it wasn’t in Maynooth, it was on Baptiste Lake.”
Me “Hmm, North Shore or South Shore?”
Him “It was a little place you wouldn’t know called Camp Comfort.”
Me “You mean the Hicks place?”
Him – with eyes like saucers “Yes, that’s the place. How did you know?”
Me Well, the Hicks family are my sister’s in-laws.”

We all had a great laugh over how small the world is but, that is not the end of the story.

I was relating this coincidence to one of my co-workers one day in the lunchroom and a student intern began to laugh. She said “I am from Maynooth and I have a great Maynooth story too.” It went something like this –

While with her family in Mexico for a year (her father was on a teaching exchange) she had to take he Dad to the hospital because he had fallen and seriously shattered a bone in his leg. They went to a small local hospital and because their Spanish was not very good in addressing medical emergency needs the hospital folks asked them to wait until they could get the doctor who spoke English.

When the young doctor arrived he asked the family where they were from in Canada and was told Ontario. He pursued this and asked “Where in Ontario?” “North east of Toronto.” they replied. “Anywhere near Maynooth he asked?” Once again a large pause in the conversation.

Here is where the tractor part begins …

It seems the doctor spent a summer as part of an agricultural exchange program working on a farm in Maynooth looking after cattle, cutting hay and harvesting cash crops and the farm was about 3 miles down the road from where the doctor and his family lived in Maynooth.

Anyone else have a Maynooth or a “So you’re from …… do you know ….. story?

/ Hey, if you're from ..... do you know? #2  
Re: Hey, if you\'re from ..... do you know?

well, I have a story that's similar...I'm from Maryland, grew up halfway between Baltimore and Washington DC. In the mid 80's myself and some buddies went skiing in New Hampshire and Vermont for a week. One day at Killington in Vermont (Killington is a HUGE place in itself, with something like 100 runs at that time) I had just gotten off the lift standing at the top of the mountain waiting for the rest of the group, look at the guy standing beside me...turns out it's a guy I knew growing up who lived 6 houses down the street from us, I hadn't seen him in years. I think we were both in shock, spoke for a few moments then went our seperate ways...haven't seen him since that day.

/ Hey, if you're from ..... do you know? #3  

Years and years ago I opened a leasing operation for a multinational company here. We were owned by an even larger multinational and ended up sharing space with another of their companies. Being the new guy there I was trying to get to know people and such so as to smooth feathers ruffled by my intrusion into their space (they were a very recent aquisition and had been a family owned business).

In talking with one of the guys there we got to talking about real estate and values, etc. Our conversation went like this.

ME I live northeast now.

HIM We're northeast, too. Where are you?

ME I'm out off highway 37.

HIM Really? We're off 37, too. Do you know where Ivywood is?

ME Yes, we're right by that. Do you know Bullerman Park?

HIM That's where we live.

ME No kidding? Me, too. Do you know Stanton Drive in there? We're on the corner of Stanton and Dial.

HIM We're just off Dial on Renfrew.

ME Well, I come in off 37, turn right on Renfrew and it turns into Stanton on the curve. We've got to be close to one another. Do you happen to know the Hawleys? Mike and Jan?

HIM Sure, we live right next to them.

ME They're my next door neighbors, too!

The way that road curved, my house and Hawleys had address on Stanton, his was on Renfrew. I couldn't see the front of his house until I crossed the street.

/ Hey, if you're from ..... do you know? #4  

My grandfather had a knack for that sort of thing. He retired from the Air Force back in the 1960's. Once he called to order some seeds from a Gurneys Catalog and the operator that answered was once their neighbor. She recognized the name, the surname Pepper kind of sticks with you, and she asked if he had been in the Air Force.

Another time he was visiting his daughter and son in law in Pennsylvania and had climbed one of these tall look out towers in a park they were visiting. While taking in the view a man came up to him and addressed him by his Air Force rank and last name. This man was stationed in Japan with my grandfather.

When I was ten years old we lived in Augusta GA for 3 months while my father was going to Signal Officer Advanced Course at Ft Gordon. My grandparents came for a visit and we went to Greenwood SC where my grandmother was born and she meet my grandfather while he was a policeman there. He had not been there in 30 years or more and he drove around pointing out places like he had been there yesterday. They visited some old friends that were still around. The real kicker was when we went to lunch and a fellow going out the door of McDonalds recognized him. He was that type of person. Someone you wouldn't forget.