Hesitant about the brand

/ Hesitant about the brand #1  

bdog

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 6130M
What research I have done leads me to believe Kioti / Daedong is a quality manufacturer. That being said the general public’s perception of them is no where near what it is of Kubota or Deere. I have owned several Kubota and Deere machines and they always had strong resale value. In fact right now many ten year old Deere tractors are selling for more than they cost new. I’m looking at trading in my Deere I have owned seven years and am basically going to get what I paid for it seven years ago.

I test drove a RX 7320 and liked it. I can buy it new for less than a used comparable Deere. I think the tractor would serve me well and having warranty would be nice but I am concerned what kind of position I would be in five years from now. I seem to get the bug every five years or so and want to trade tractors. I believe if I bought a used Deere today that in five years I could likely sell it for what I paid for it. The Kioti I’m not so sure. If I buy a new one for 40k today and five years from now it has 1000hrs and I want to trade what can expect to get out of it?

I’m not buying a tractor as an investment I am buying it to get work done but I don’t want to get hosed when it comes time to get rid of it. Curious what others thoughts are with this issue and this brand.I’m not the type to buy something and keep it forever. Cars, trucks, whatever it is rare for me to have anything over five years.

/ Hesitant about the brand #2  
I think you should go with what you know and what you are comfortable with. I’m surprised you will get back what you paid for a used machine on selling after having added 1000 hours to it, but if that is what is important to you, it sounds like the die has already been cast. Not everyone is cut out to take a chance on the "left-field" solution.

/ Hesitant about the brand
Thanks. Getting back what I paid isn’t my goal. I just don’t want a bloodbath at trade time because knowing me no matter how much I like the tractor I will want to trade down the road.

To me anything with an engine should lose value over time. Oddly it seems certain brands of tractors lose very little and may even gain in value.

/ Hesitant about the brand #5  
I bought a brand new Ford 1700 4WD from a dealer in 1982. I got, basically, the same value as paid for it when I traded it in 27 years later. The same dealer had gone from Ford to Kubota.

/ Hesitant about the brand #6  
Hypothetical: If you were in the market for a good used tractor of a certain size, and an LS/RK/Kioti/TYM/whatever (Korean) was available for less than a Deere/Kubota, and had similar (or better) specs, what would you be tempted to lay your money on?

/ Hesitant about the brand #7  
Kioti is a good tractor. However, from reading your post I think you should stick with Deere or Kubota.

/ Hesitant about the brand #8  
I think some of these "budget brands" are seeing a rise in popularity. I own a mahindra and never would have even considered them 5 years ago. Kioti seems to be even better.

I can't predict the future, but I think you wouldn't loose as much as you might be worrying about. If you keep it in good shape someone will buy it, I just don't think you're going to get the same price you pay.

Something no one here is mentioning or considering and is THE ENTIRE REASON you are getting that money back...

You're dealing in pre-emissions which can command big bucks for people not looking to deal with bullshit.

ANY new tractor you get looses that advantage and is just a regular player in the game when you go to trade or sell down the road. That's the factor you are overlooking IMO.

/ Hesitant about the brand #9  
Just go with your gut feelings...todays market hard to find nice second hand tractor and some dealer lots getting thin,maybe in year or 2+ does 180.

/ Hesitant about the brand #10  
Resale is real...but it has more to do with Marketing than real reliability differences. However the dealer network and the fact that both Deere and Kubota have been in business for quite some time are also very good reasons to stick with their brand. I have no doubt Kioti makes great tractors. The question is now much is the Resale, Dealer network, and business stability worth to you?