Here is a Implement you don't see everyday

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #2  
Just got this in Monday. I never had a used one come through our business. Ken Sweet
Used Landpride 6 Ft Straw Crimper, CAN SHIP CHEAP | eBay

Not the same brand, but I do see one every day....every day I walk out behind the barn anyway....

SCX Straw Crimper Installer from Burchland Mfg, Inc

One of those items that when you need it, nothing else does the same job, but when you DON"T need one, they collect dust behind the barn for 20 years...

Oh....Mine wasn't cheap either. You know how it is with specialty tools..

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday
Not the same brand, but I do see one every day....every day I walk out behind the barn anyway....

SCX Straw Crimper Installer from Burchland Mfg, Inc

One of those items that when you need it, nothing else does the same job, but when you DON"T need one, they collect dust behind the barn for 20 years...

Oh....Mine wasn't cheap either. You know how it is with specialty tools..

Nice machine !! Usually I see them on commercial sites or for lawn preparation for new homes. How did you end up with one? Commercial or Lawn Prep? Ken Sweet

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #4  
Nice machine !! Usually I see them on commercial sites or for lawn preparation for new homes. How did you end up with one? Commercial or Lawn Prep? Ken Sweet

I TRIED to get into sod/seed work for the state of Kentucky years ago. Mistake.....In 2 years, I saw 24 bids be rejected because I wasn't a minority contractor, who were given preference in state bids. Fortunately, mowing contracts I have are with county Gov.

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday
I TRIED to get into sod/seed work for the state of Kentucky years ago. Mistake.....In 2 years, I saw 24 bids be rejected because I wasn't a minority contractor, who were given preference in state bids. Fortunately, mowing contracts I have are with county Gov.

Could a person set up a company with the wife (or a woman) as the owner and get around the minority qualification? Ken Sweet

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #6  
Could a person set up a company with the wife (or a woman) as the owner and get around the minority qualification? Ken Sweet

He!!...by now I think we ARE the minority! :laughing:;)

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #7  
I've seen straw crimpers used, and it was always on state highway jobs. Farmwithjunk is correct, there are certain niche contractors that are almost always either minority or woman owned. The contractors use subcontractors for this work, and they have to have a certain percantage of the work performed by these disadvataged contractors. Seeders, truckers, the people that put the striping down are some of the common ones. It is very common for these small companys to be set up and owned by a woman, even if she doesn't have much to do with the work.

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #9  
This may be a dumb question, but what does a straw crimper do? (I assume it has something to do with crimping straw ;))

/ Here is a Implement you don't see everyday #10  
This may be a dumb question, but what does a straw crimper do? (I assume it has something to do with crimping straw ;))

Did you ever throw down some grass seed, then cover that with straw, just to see the wind blow the straw away after you walk away....? Straw crimper "crimps" the straw into the soil just a tick so it stays where you put it. That lets the mulch straw do what it's supposed to do. (ie prevent erosion, protect seed, preserve moisture)