Help with Mig setting

/ Help with Mig setting #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
I just picked up a used Mig welder, it's a Miller 250 MP. It has the digital read out display for setting your wire speed and amp. I'm having a heck of a time trying to get it right I don't know if I'm too hot or not enough wire speed etc,etc. Is there anyone out there that has one like this that can tell me what to set the wire speed at and the amp setting for .030" wire. That's the wire that's in it now. I may change to a heavier wire later on, but for now and what I have to do it will work. Thanks in advance. Oh, yeah, I'm using gas. 75% - 25%. Thanks.

/ Help with Mig setting #2  
Many welders have a guide on the door which is visible when you change wire. Last time I walked up to a Miller I read that chart on the door, adjusted to those setting and started welding.

Miller.com is a good resource

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1315_mil.pdf

/ Help with Mig setting #3  
By the way wire speed and amp is based on wire size and thickness of the metal. Also welding position can affect those settings. Tons of welding guides over at Miller.com

/ Help with Mig setting #5  
set it to weld and memory off.then set the voltage to 20.get some 1/4 thick steel,hit the trigger .as you weld adjust the line speed until it sounds like bacon frying.be sure and turn the gas on.

/ Help with Mig setting
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

/ Help with Mig setting #8  
when I started I would use a piece of scrap and set volts and then adjust my wire speed as I welded till I got it where I wanted it. If not getting enough penetration up the voltage a little at a time. Like other post, a nice even sound, like bacon frying is a good example.:thumbsup:

/ Help with Mig setting #9  
Do you have a smart phone? If so, Miller has an app that can be downloaded. if memory serves correctly, its free. I use it on TIG, MIG, Flux Core, and Stick to get settings when working with materials I'm not use to welding. As with the chart, the settings it gives serve as a good starting point. The section on stick welding will also give some guidance on penetration, spatter, etc.

/ Help with Mig setting #10  
make sure the polarity is correct, flux core is opposite...

one of the tricky things about welding is matching your hand speed with the settings, there's always a range, not a perfect setting

I have better results, with more fire, less wire end of the range:laughing: