Help with dump trailer

/ Help with dump trailer #1  

TonyC

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 1997 L3600DT 4WD with FEL
Anyone built a dump trailer, or modified a trailer into a dump trailer? I'm getting ready to do that and would like some insight. I plan to use a manual hydraulic ram.

Thanks!

/ Help with dump trailer #2  
Tony

That sounds like a great project. I thought about it myself, I could sure use one to haul around our chicken litter.

You might want to look at dump trailers on ebay. There is some company selling their dump trailer plans for $29. It might be save you some time and money having the plans.

Good luck
Eric

/ Help with dump trailer #4  
Check out this site:

http://www.machinebuilders.net/

Someone posted it here on TBN a few days back and it's quite good. There is a gentleman who built a haywagon dump trailer. Look for it in the Photo section. It's really well made.

I've been seriously thinking about building a dump trailer too. I considered buying a kit for the hydraulics including a sissor lift from Northern or some other company. BUT, this gentleman built one using the hydraulics from his tractor and a single cylinder.

I would appreciate any discussion of a single cylinder vs. sissor lift.

Also, the cylinders and sissors lifts I've seen seem to be mounted farther back toward the tailgate than I would have from my seat of the pants engineering. Any thoughts on this?

tia Mike

/ Help with dump trailer #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also, the cylinders and sissors lifts I've seen seem to be mounted farther back toward the tailgate than I would have from my seat of the pants engineering. Any thoughts on this? )</font>

Mike,

I thought of a self-tipping design. It would only carry a yard or so of dirt, but would be very quick. Pull the lever, wham, bam, finished.

/ Help with dump trailer #6  
The pics of the hay wagon the cylinder is almost flat when down.
So at the heaviest lift point the cylinder is trying to push the bed rearward first, up second.
To make the single cylinder work better the cylinder needs to be more verticle (lift instead of push).
The scissors hoists are built strong to take the push and change it into lift.
If u want a cheap way find a used dump bed off a small dumptruck and mount this to your trailer frame.
Plus u have a good tailgate to spread w/.
So unless the bed sets high on the wagon to give the cylinder a more verticle lift u need scissors or mount a multistage cylinder in the nose (dump trucks and trailers).

/ Help with dump trailer #7  
Hi...

Tip... keep the trailer's bed high enough off the ground so the whole(most) load gets dumped...

Dave...