Help with concrete mix failure

/ Help with concrete mix failure #1  

hayden

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 cab + FEL, KX121, KX080
I mixed and poured about 5 bags of concrete mix a week ago, and today checked on it and I can crumble the concrete with my hand. Any ideas what might have gone wrong? After 7 days I'd expect it to be good and solid. Not full strength, but solid. Instead, I was able to crumble a chunk that broke off when I removed the wood form. Other droppings around the form are also easily crushed. I also mixed some mortar mix at the same time and used it in and around the same area, and it's good and hard as I'd expect.

For more details, read on. My pour is backfilling the corner of an old granite block foundation where it was not properly supported. I believe I mixed it properly (not too wet, not too dry). The form was a combination of wood, earth, and the granite. It's been cold, but it didn't freeze in the first few days. Night time temps are probably in the high 30's to low 40's. Could that be it?

Does Sakcrete go bad? The bags I used are about 3-4 years old, but they've been in a closed shed. The contents were a bit lumpy when I mixed it, but it was otherwise dry. I recently tried using an old bag of mortar that had been stored in a damp location, and had a similar problem, but in that case most of the bag was hard as a rock.

Thanks for the help

/ Help with concrete mix failure #2  
Sounds like it was too old and partially hydrated. I find small lumps in bag of ready-mix to be a bad sign. Sorry I can't help more.

/ Help with concrete mix failure #3  
If the sakcrete had lumps in it they were probably hydrated cement as stated.:(

Sounds like you will have to redo the pour. :mad:

If you use sacrete I'd suggest addeing sever spade's of portland cement to the mixture to up the strength and for peace of mind.:)

If at all possible I'd mix from scratch:D

/ Help with concrete mix failure #4  
Yep they go bad, look over by my telephone pole where I threw all of them over the years! Get fresh bags for anything important.

Mike

/ Help with concrete mix failure
Well that sucks...

/ Help with concrete mix failure #6  
It will still be good for post holes! Sorry, but it's better then throwing it away!

/ Help with concrete mix failure #7  
Egon said:
If you use sacrete I'd suggest addeing sever spade's of portland cement to the mixture to up the strength and for peace of mind.:)

If at all possible I'd mix from scratch:D

I always add a bit. Abouit a 1 lb coffee can per bag is sufficient, probably overly sufficient.

Harry K

/ Help with concrete mix failure #8  
How long will they stay good for in a controlled environment? I have 6-7 bags of premix that would not get used until next spring. Was half thinking about dumping them on the drive anyway just to get get them out of the shop.