Help with brush clearing

/ Help with brush clearing #1  

kas2960

Bronze Member
Tractor
CK4010HST
Ok, I have several large patches of thin brush. Mostly lilac, prickly ash and what I refer to as spirea, thin stuff that grows close together and stands about 4-6" tall. So backing up the rotary mower over it is very time consuming not o mention not real happy with the sticks left protruding out of the ground. So I was looking back at the archives for posts on tooth bars. But most seem only used for digging. But the Piranha toothbar looks like it will cut the brush?? I am worried that other bars will just bend the stuff over and not do much. Can anyone with this tooth bar let me know their experience with it? I am not wanting it to dig, but to just slice this crap off level or slightly below grade. Thanks.

Kent
Ontario Canada

/ Help with brush clearing #2  
Check out the ratchet rake. It rips stuff out by the roots. I love mine! I ordered it with the forestry chain shackles and binders instead of a ratchet strap. I haven't head of anyone that had trouble with the ratchet strap, but I felt like the binders and shackles would hold tension without slipping better. I've ripped pine saplings out with mine, so I think what you're describing would be within the realm of possibility. IMG_20190313_170105894.jpeg

/ Help with brush clearing #4  
I used the Piranha bar and my box blade to do this 34 foot x 65 foot area. I think I will try a land rake or a scarifier/tooth bar to get the rest of the Sumac roots cleaned up and level with the BB.
20CC1F3C-724C-45A3-A12E-427E32271AF8.jpg
98B7C228-48B7-47BB-B6D7-C25B44CA446A.jpg
AEB3A1A2-C391-43DF-9530-0BB6D54433D0.jpg
2958BB06-D6BE-47AD-A509-00C1B2290DF4.jpg

Jim.

/ Help with brush clearing #5  
I need to keep watching these threads. If the lawyers and banks can ever stop stalling me, I hope to have between 6 and 9 badly overgrown acres before next Spring to go to work on. Couple of neighbors with bigger machines will help, but I want to do as much as I can myself.

/ Help with brush clearing #6  
I bought a set of bolt on bucket teeth and find they just get plugged up quickly with small brush and weeds. I found that I ended up with large piles of intertwined crud that was difficult to load and remove because it tends to keep rolling forward when trying to load the bucket. I could never get a full bucket unless I got off the tractor and loaded it by hand.

The bucket tooth rack is now sitting in my barn and I use a root rake grapple for cleanup. My advice would be to save money on the tooth bar and buy a grapple. Cleanup will be way faster and you wont need to leave your seat. I get less twitch grass clumps and weeds and more brush in every bite.

No matter which way you go make or buy a grill guard for your tractor. You may need a belly pan to protect low dangling items as well.

/ Help with brush clearing #7  
I bought a set of bolt on bucket teeth and find they just get plugged up quickly with small brush and weeds. I found that I ended up with large piles of intertwined crud that was difficult to load and remove because it tends to keep rolling forward ...

That's exactly what I was wondering about since a lot of what I have is Blackberry, wild grape, Honeysuckle and a few other vines.

/ Help with brush clearing #8  
I've only "ripped brush" once. It was with my grapple. I have a tooth bar on my bucket but thought I'd try the grapple first. Besides, the grapple was already on the FEL. It was on the neighbors property. Unfortunately - all I have is what I call Buck Brush. It grows to a max height of about two feet and might get to the diameter of a pencil.

The neighbors "brush" was something else. It was thick, bushy and about 6' to 8' high. The grapple easily tore it and its roots right out of the ground. Now the neighbor wants me to come over with the Wally chipper and chip his huge pile of brush. I declined - too much dirt on the roots. Besides he can burn the pile after our first snow.

/ Help with brush clearing
I need to keep watching these threads. If the lawyers and banks can ever stop stalling me, I hope to have between 6 and 9 badly overgrown acres before next Spring to go to work on. Couple of neighbors with bigger machines will help, but I want to do as much as I can myself.

You learn so much from this site. Take in all the experience from all. Don't give up on the land brother, don't let the bastards get yea LOL. It is way more fun and satisfying to do it your self. Why get a tractor in the first place?

/ Help with brush clearing
Re: Help with brush clearing

Another recommendation for the Ratchet Rake.

VIDEO: Ratchet Rake clearing brush - Google Search

MORE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ake-today.html

Thanks jeff9366
That looks like what I need. Mine isn't near as heavy as what is in the video. Thanks for the links too! Once it is down I can drive over it with the rotary mower and mulch it up. I like the fact that it seems to pull out the brush with out leaving sharp crap pointing up waiting to pierce a tire. Do you have a belly pan on your tractor too?