Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #1  

The Deerslayer

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 Former: Kubota L2250
Starting a rehab paint project on my rear blade and figured while I was at it I would replace the lower link pins. They are loose and the nuts are stuck due to rust. Tried using various lubricants to no avail. I also have no means of heating it up other than a small torch which did not do much. My next step is to try my cut off tool. Anyone done this before? Open to additional suggestions.
photo (1).JPGphoto.JPG

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #2  
I've done several sets of these. After the first time, and wasting a lot of effort trying to free them with penetrating oils, heat, etc, I had to cut them off anyway. So this is what I've done after that. I soak them heavily with a penetrating oil of your choice for a couple days. Then I give it a valiant effort with a pipe wrench, breaker bar, or what ever fits that particular circumstance. I don't waste too much time though. If I don't get the nuts to break free and come off easily within a few minutes, I cut them with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. For a $3 pin, don't spend too much time on it.

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #3  
Starting a rehab paint project on my rear blade and figured while I was at it I would replace the lower link pins. They are loose and the nuts are stuck due to rust. Tried using various lubricants to no avail. I also have no means of heating it up other than a small torch which did not do much. My next step is to try my cut off tool. Anyone done this before? Open to additional suggestions.
View attachment 484304View attachment 484305

Have you tried a pneumatic impact on the nuts with BA pipewrench on other side?

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #4  
I use a pipe wrench on the pin and impact gun on the nut. If that don't work I use a cut off wheel or sawzall. Lastly I'd use a torch but the OP says he doesn't have one.

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #5  
I have a lot of success with an air chisel with a flat tip punch when it's something I want to save.
Just rattle the H out of the nut by hitting it on the flats.
If they were where you could get to them another trick is put one hammer on one side and hit the flats with a hammer on the other side.

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #6  
Cut off wheel on your grinder is your friend - one of the handiest tools I have.

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #7  
The gas powered 14 inch cutoff saw is very handy for these also, no cord to stretch.

David

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #8  
The perfect place to try a 50/50 mix of Acetone, and ATF. Hit it a couple times for a few days to soak. Flip the blade over to get at the nut, and some swinging room. As mentioned, a pipe wrench on the pin, and wrench on the nut, or 3/4 set & breaker bar on the nut. Or. even a large pipe wrench on the nut.

I've also had to resort to the cutoff wheels on the angle grinder. I buy the Dewalt wheels by the box of 25 when Rural King has them on sale for 99 cents.

/ Help Remove Rusted Out Lower Link Pins #9  
View attachment 484304View attachment 484305

Are these pictures before or after trying to loosen? Not sure what type of "lubricants" you tried but I see none in the pictures or it all evaporated. I suggest some PB Blaster and a propane torch to get them off or at least enough to get a cutoff wheel between the frame and shoulder.