Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting #1  

ShaleniFarm

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST; Kubota BX1850; Kubota RTVx1100
Hello All,
Need a little help with my JD GT 242...

I took off the deck last fall, and now, when I put it back on, it won't go down far enough.

Maybe I forgot to lock a spring or something?

Don't know, but thanks for helping,
Neil.

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting #2  
Do you have the manual?

Do you have the height adj. knob turned to the desired height you want to go to?

We can try to get to the cause, but not being able to see what is happening, the height knob being left at a high position is the only thing I can think of offhand.

Raise the deck as high as it will go, set the height adj. knob at 1", and lower the deck. Does this work or does the problem still exist?

What was the deck off for, a blower?

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting
Thanks.
1. I'm trying to find my manual. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
2. I tried the height knob... It does go lower, but not very much.
3. The deck was off for pre winter cleanup & storage.

Neil.

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting #4  
Well there is only two attachment points in the rear of the deck and the front attachment point.

What height are You setting it at and is the linkage all attached properly?

Did You perhaps leave the anti-scalp wheels all the way down?

I always run My height know to the lowest point to attach the draft links in the rear.

Are You using the button on the lift lever to lock the deck down? or are You putting it in float position?

I ask all this because I have a GT242 .

Tom,
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( only two attachment)</font>
This is why I'm so confused... Maybe my memory is poor and that is the way it was/is?

I think it is all attached properly. Seemed hard to mess it up... But this unit is pretty beat up. The anti-scalp wheels don't reach the ground....

I did use the button to lock it down.

Maybe I'll take the thing back off, check the height knob to the lowest setting, then re-attach.

Thanks for your help,
Neil.

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting #6  
I think that would be the obvious thing to do at this point , while You have it off look for a bent rod in the linkage as well.
Seems like I had to replace one that came loose while mowing with it a few years ago, up inside the frame on Your lever side between it and the rear wheel.

I wish I was close to take a look at it , I do have a service manual for it as well.

If there is anything I can help You with don't hesitate to ask.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Well, Tom, you helped me out...

I took the deck back off and fiddled with the height adjuster. Just didn't seem like the brackets were coming down. So I jiggled them all around and got them freed up and moving. Then I set the height to 1" and down it came.

Got the belts all straight, hooked it up at 1" and it worked great.

Even mowed, althought it was dark. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, I'm back in business. Still gotta find my manual though.....

Thanks for your help,
Neil.

/ Help on Deere GT242 deck mounting #8  
Neil,

Great News glad You got it going, I intend for mine to last a long time, that's why I got the shop manual! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif