Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #21  
Any chance the fuel filter is installed upside down? Not questioning your ability but it's something I could do if I was hurrying.

I was expecting to have to bleed the system when I changed my fuel filter, but I just made sure the bowl was full and it never missed a beat after starting. Sean
That's how mine went also, I was in a hurry and actually just forgot about bleeding it.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter
Update: Here's what happened in case it can help someone else some day: I took the filter back off to look at everything, thinking maybe one of the o-rings was pinched or something. Also was worried that I failed to remove some part of the plastic wrapper from the filter and it plugged something, and compared the new filter to the old to make sure they were the same dimensions, etc. Everything looked ok.

Next opened injection lines where they exit the injection pump (not possible to reach the other end of those lines unless fuel tank is removed) and attempted purge one at a time. To do this I had to grind down a wrench because the connecting nuts are practically touching each other. Got my wife to crank for me, but did not get fuel to flow.

Can't be shut down for too long, so this afternoon had someone come out from my dealer. One of the mechanics came out and we pressurized the fuel tank with air, got some air out of the line going to the little boost pump, and then purged all 4 injection lines again. This was enough cranking to run the battery down, had to jump it, but eventually got fuel to come out, closed lines, and got running again. Took about 1/2 hour with two of us. I don't know why the bowl didn't fill in the beginning. Next time I will leave the ring a little loose and let fuel spill over a little before tightening. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You will note that the suggestions on this thread were enough to fix this, but I started to run short of both time and confidence. Glad to be up and running again. And lucky we are having dry sunny weather since the machine was parked outside for this.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #23  
Good to hear you got it going, they aren't usually such a pig to get going after a filter change.

Sean

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #24  
Glad that everything worked out. Now you need some snow to push around.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #25  
Nice, glad it worked out. In the last 10 year It happened twice to me with my Ford. it was pretty easy to do it the first time and I promised myself to never let that happen again. Two months ago while fuel was low I decided mow the ditch as I was heading to barn. As soon as I entered the ditch , the fuel sloshed around empty tank and injector sucked some air and killed the tractor deader than a door knob. After two hrs of fetching diesel and fiddling with the tractor I got it started. No more... I hope.

JC,

Learned my lesson, I was pretty casual about it to begin with.

/ Help Needed: Bleeding MX5100 Fuel Filter #27  
Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, you guys saved my bacon!!! So i have a new to me M5140. I stumbled across this thread while searching the internet about my problem...
1st tractor, 1st time using it.. :) so it started missing after a couple of hours of use, so being a car guy i assumed fuel filter! Long story short i replaced the fuel filter and the water seperator screen. I saw no water in the fuel but my local kubota guy says it's common to have a clog in the 90 degree elbow above the water seperator.(at the on/off valve).. sure enough, i take it off, and run wire through the 90 and there is all kinds of gunk in there.. put it back together, nothing... then did as you guys suggested opened the bleeder valve, and hooked my hand held vacum pump to both lines coming off the transfer pump, did this several times until fuel came out the hoses and she fired right up!! thanks gents!!!

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread, you guys saved my bacon!!! So i have a new to me M5140. I stumbled across this thread while searching the internet about my problem...
1st tractor, 1st time using it.. :) so it started missing after a couple of hours of use, so being a car guy i assumed fuel filter! Long story short i replaced the fuel filter and the water seperator screen. I saw no water in the fuel but my local kubota guy says it's common to have a clog in the 90 degree elbow above the water seperator.(at the on/off valve).. sure enough, i take it off, and run wire through the 90 and there is all kinds of gunk in there.. put it back together, nothing... then did as you guys suggested opened the bleeder valve, and hooked my hand held vacum pump to both lines coming off the transfer pump, did this several times until fuel came out the hoses and she fired right up!! thanks gents!!!

You're welcome. I have never had a problem with priming after changing a fuel filter on either of my kubotas since that one time in 2013. So I don't really know why it was so tough that time.