Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My 80 year old mom knows better, but she just fell for a scammer on FB messanger. They sent her a message pretending to be a friend from church that said that the church was eligible for a large amount of money from a donation. In order to get this money, they needed everyones information, so the so called donor would know who is getting the money.

Mom didn't even hesitate. She gave them her full name, date of birth, social security number and her address. Nothing else, and two minutes after she did this, she realized that she made a huge mistake. She called her friend that she though she was responding to on FB messenger, and she had no idea what mom was talking about.

So it's 8:30 on a Sunday night. We need a plan on what to do in the morning. We will be calling the Sherriff, the bank, their Money Manager and everybody else that we can think of. Please suggest others that we should be calling.

Is there a website that helps and isn't a scam?

She is hysterical right now. Dad has Covid, he also has Dementia and Alzheimer's, so he's in and out of being helpful. Mom handles all their money, but when she panics, or gets confused, she shuts down.

Please try and avoid pointing out how this shouldn't of happened. It's done, and we will work on making sure it doesn't happen again. for now, I just need help in figuring out what to do. Hopefully suggesting something that my wife and I missed.

Thank you.

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #3  
Eddie,

Very sorry to hear this... it happens to many.

Beside the things you mentioned above make sure you put a Credit Freeze with all 3 Credit Bureaus (Equifax / Experian / TransUnion) on their accounts. It will stop unwanted credit checks & account from being opened....

Here is some info & Links

Equifax: Call 800-349-9960 or go online.

Experian: Call 888‑397‑3742 or go online.

TransUnion: Call 888-909-8872 or go online.

You can also freeze your credit report at two lesser-known credit bureaus that may have information about you:

Innovis: Call 800-540-2505 or go online.

National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange: Call 866-343-2821 or go online.

Also notify all CC companies & make sure there are no easy or common (across multiple accounts) passwords used...

Hoping for the Best,
Dennis

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB
Thank you!!!

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #6  
Eddie,

Very sorry to hear this... it happens to many.

Beside the things you mentioned above make sure you put a Credit Freeze with all 3 Credit Bureaus (Equifax / Experian / TransUnion) on their accounts. It will stop unwanted credit checks & account from being opened....

Here is some info & Links

Equifax: Call 800-349-9960 or go online.

Experian: Call 888‑397‑3742 or go online.

TransUnion: Call 888-909-8872 or go online.

You can also freeze your credit report at two lesser-known credit bureaus that may have information about you:

Innovis: Call 800-540-2505 or go online.

National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange: Call 866-343-2821 or go online.

Also notify all CC companies & make sure there are no easy or common (across multiple accounts) passwords used...

Hoping for the Best,
Dennis
Your advice is excellent! Please take the good advice; I had to do the same for an elderly relative.

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #7  
As mentioned above, notify the credit bureaus and lock any credit reports. And notify your local sheriff.

There is a Federal Identity Theft website and probably one at your state level (State Attorney General, probably).

Report Identity Theft Report identity (ID) theft to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) online at IdentityTheft.gov or by phone at 1-877-438-4338. The FTC will collect the details of your situation.

Identity Theft | USAGov

www.usa.gov/identity-theft

Their site has a list of recommendations. Good luck.

Ken

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #8  
Don't forget to call Social Security and report the scam.
And maybe close the face book account too and open another one with slightly different name.
Also wouldn't hurt to notify your state attorney general on such scams.

Good luck, and I hope there is a special place for people that scam old folks.

/ Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #9  
Every ad that I've responded to on FakeBook that hasn't been a marketplace ad has been a scammer. The past two years in a row I've fallen for way-too-good-of-deals for GoPros in November while I'm dying in state-required continuing education.

Add your mom's phone number to the nations do not call registry.

Everybody else has given you good advice. Close all checking accounts that she gave routing or account numbers too. Change passwords on all things financial. Contract every financial institution and follow their advice. Put a lock on any new accounts for the next year. Wow, what a bummer.

Last edited:
   / Help. My mom made a huge mistake on FB #10  
Eddie let me know if you need anything. My wife is Mama Steph that works for KLTV. I will ask her if she knows of any of this happening to others. I am sure she will do all she can to help as well.

She said make sure to alert the local SS office as well. They can put a alert on her number.

Last edited: