HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
I brought my new MF 1428 with FEL to Vermont where there is no real dealer support. The tractor with the exception of the hydro has been great but if you can't start your tractor it is not a tractor but just a red barn decoration. I cannot start it because I cannot I cannot get the machine into neutral. This is an ongoing problem that no one seems to understand. If it gets turned off anywhere but in neutral of if the lever gets bumped out of neutral while the machine is off the hydro unit will not go back into neutral. Sometimes cycling the FEL valve and hydro pedals will suddenly let it slide back into neutral. Other times: No Dice. The tractor only starts in neutral. MF's website is the pits and where I bought it from is not much help. Does anybody have any thoughts please please. My wife wanted me to get a green tractor and I am gettin the "I told you so's" while I am getting the evil eye for not getting the driveway plowed or the manure dealt with.

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #2  
I am sorry that you are having problems, but any time that you have a complicated piece of equipment there is a chance that there be something that a dealer will need to take care of. All brands have to have service from time to time. Sounds like it just needs an adjustment to the hydro or the linkages. Do you not have a dealer at all?

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #3  
Get the green solution. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But seriously, sounds like an adjustment as mentioned. My HST starts regardless of 'neutral' settings. But if the hydro pedals don't return to neutral, then it may not start, but that has never happened. Is it the pedals not being in the right spot the problem? or is it the gear shifter that needs to be in a neutral position?
I'd look for a stick or something binding that causes a problem. Hope it gets fixed soon. Not fun to be without a working tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #4  
wait, hold your fire! do you know of the recall on the shift linkage? it may look like it is in neutral but it,s in drive . the MF won't start. the old linkage may be bent. that the only thing i had the dealer replaced for me before i bought it . i read about the recall here awhile back .

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #5  
If all else fails there is always the wire with an alligator clip on either end for temporary solution.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #6  
It was not a recall, but there is a shift linkage kit available to correct this. Suggest you call your dealer.

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #7  
What ever happened to the NH 1710? It needed an engine??

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428
The owner of the 1710 wanted $7000 for it and was not forthcoming on the service record. I counter offered $5000 based on two separate dealer quotes (They used the serial number, my description and my pictures) and she went nuts and supposedly sold it to somebody else for $7000. Turns out she traded to a guy in barter for work already done. Given the other surprises that have come with the house and barns that were not on the disclosure list (like a well that ran dry after one shower and no working water to the barns plus the HUGE amount of engine or hydraulic oil contamination of the soil in the the tractor shed) I am glad that she hung somebody else out to dry with it. I mean this in a sincere way but I question her mental stability. My dealer in PA sold me a leftover 1428 with a 1500 series loader for what he got it for including the factory incentives etc. before I left. He is a good guy and I was a loyal customer and he knew about the 1710 deal going bad. The tractor has been great but the guys in the shop in my opinion rushed the prep and it shows (like not catching the FEL valve would not float, stickers still on the headlights, unequal tire pressures etc. The deal was too good to pass up and still is but it frustrates me to no end when I cannot make what I am sure is a simple diagnosis and simple tweaking. Supposedly this machine was produced too late to be involved in the recall. The PA dealer's phone diagnostic skills are somewhat lacking as probably are my descriptive skills. I found a dealer 54 miles from here but farm calls at that distance are steep. If I could bypass the safety my bet is that it would go into neutral within a few revolutions of the hydro pump. If I could start it I have a truck and could haul it to him instead which would be far cheaper. The hydro lever hits a clear mechanical block as it is advanced....something that feels like it is supposed to happen but is incorrectly deployed. I appreciate everyone's help.

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #9  
I don't know what part of Vermont you are in. If you are close to Montpelier, Riverside Tractor (http://www.ackequip.com/) might be able to help you. They recemtly bought out the MF dealer up here. The Massey chief mechanic, Bubba (what everybody calls him), now works for Riverside. And the owner says they will service Massey's. Might be worth a call or email.

/ HELP ME PLEASE. I am ready to shoot my 1428 #10  
my 1428v was also a leftover . i wrongly stated it was a recall ,but it was a service bulletin .and the kit and installation was free.i'll go get it while the manufacture will still foot the bill.