Help me pick a tractor

/ Help me pick a tractor #1  

Lucky Dog

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65
I currently own a Massey Ferguson 65, 1959 I believe.

I'm thinking about upgrading and have become totally lost in what is available.

This is what I believe I want in a new tractor.

Front wheel assist
Loader with quick detach.
Sizes as to allow me to use mu current attachments.
Current attachments, 7' back blade, 6' box blade, 6' snowblower that is front mounted and runs off the rear PTO.

I would at least 2 rear remote hydraulic attachments.
For cost reasons, I'd be looking on the used market and would like to be in the 10-15K range.

Am I dreaming?

Thanks for the help.

/ Help me pick a tractor #2  
I don't think you're dreaming, but you may have to look for a while. I doubt $10K will do it without getting into older, rough machines, but $15K should be possible. To stick with those implements, and stay similar in size/power to your Massey, you're probably looking at something in the ballpark of 40hp. Generally speaking, with FWA you can go a little lighter and still have the same pulling power, and your Massey had around 40hp at the PTO, so you don't want to go too much lower.

On a whim I looked at CL for your area and one machine popped up that is close to your budget, would do the work you want, and has a good reputation for quality and reliability. I had the 47hp version and put 215 flawless hours on it before selling it to go much bigger. They come standard with dual rear remotes, rear work light, telescoping lift arms and stabilizer bars, and a 7-pin trailer plug. LS is a Korean company spinoff of LG and Hyundai that has been around for quite some time, and is now making most of the compact tractors for Case/New Holland. Parts are available online, from LS, or any Case/NH dealer. Something like this should handle any of the tasks you're looking at, and be a big step up from your Massey.

LS 4041H tractor

This Deere is a little older, but would be worth a look...actually looks pretty good for $10K, but can't tell if it has remotes (which can be added, obviously).

John Deere 4600 Low Hours

Last edited:
   / Help me pick a tractor
Thanks for the reply GManBart.
That is the the size range of tractor I keep getting back to, but one question I have is that that style of tractor seems smaller than my current Massey, will the smaller size make it difficult to use the current attachments I have? I'm thinking more in terms of stability and weight.

/ Help me pick a tractor #4  
My first thought is how do you have a rear PTO driven snow blower that mounts on the front??

As far as tractors go i'd think something around 40 hp would do what you are after and I'd think 15k would get you close on a used machine. 10k may not be realistic.

/ Help me pick a tractor
tractor.jpg

This is not a great picture of how the snow blower mounts, but basically, the frame hangs from the front axel, and draw bar. The pto shaft comes out of the rear PTO and into a transmission that is on the back of the frame. Then there is a shaft that runs from the transmission to the back of the snow blower.

It is a Bervac, that is a 3pt mount, and then it is attached to their front mount kit.
One wet remote runs the lift, and another remote runs the chute rotation.

I love it because I don't have to look backwards all the time.

/ Help me pick a tractor #6  
Thanks for the reply GManBart.
That is the the size range of tractor I keep getting back to, but one question I have is that that style of tractor seems smaller than my current Massey, will the smaller size make it difficult to use the current attachments I have? I'm thinking more in terms of stability and weight.

I think your Massey 65 weighs about what my Massey does...right around 4,200lbs without ballast. My LS was 3,800lbs without the FEL, and somewhere around 5,000lbs with the FEL and bucket...same as the one I linked above. I never really noticed any difference in stability and balance between the two using the same implements. If anything, I need to add some weight to the front of the Massey because it gets a little light compared to the LS that didn't with the same implements. The newer tractors seem to look a little smaller, but they don't have much barn space in them, and they add a bunch of weight with the FWA and HST/Shuttle transmissions.

Here's a pic I took back before I sold the LS and 8N...it gives you an idea of the sizes. In some ways the LS looks and felt bigger other than in wheelbase.

/ Help me pick a tractor #7  
Spend some time shopping before you buy. There is some older iron out there that's very reasonably priced when longevity is compared. Buying newer brand name "city" tractors will cost you considerable money for little more abilities. Slow down and shop diligently. I spent 6 months almost daily shopping for my Ford tractor. :)

/ Help me pick a tractor #8  
I recently bought an LS XR4040. I am very happy with it so far. I have enough power for my small farm. You can get more tractor with LS than you can with MasseyFerguson, John deere and kubota for almost the same money. I had all 4 quoted. I shopped for nearly a year before I bought an LS. Take your time, test drive if you can and at a minimum sit on some to see what fits you. Good luck in you search.

/ Help me pick a tractor #9  
I currently own a Massey Ferguson 65, 1959 I believe.

I'm thinking about upgrading and have become totally lost in what is available.

This is what I believe I want in a new tractor.

Front wheel assist
Loader with quick detach.
Sizes as to allow me to use mu current attachments.
Current attachments, 7' back blade, 6' box blade, 6' snowblower that is front mounted and runs off the rear PTO.

I would at least 2 rear remote hydraulic attachments.
For cost reasons, I'd be looking on the used market and would like to be in the 10-15K range.

Am I dreaming?

Thanks for the help.

Just wanted to point out that most modern compacts with a quick detach use mid mount hydraulic couplers. When you remove the fel and mount the snow blower these mid couplers are available with a joystick to utilize. There should be no need to use rear remotes for the snow blower raise and chute functions. Having rear remotes beyond this can be helpful for rear attachments such as a hydraulic top and side links. A real plus for box blade work.

/ Help me pick a tractor #10  
The Deere that Gman posted a link to should work well with a 6' box blade and 7' rear blade. Appears to be in good shape and a good price imo. If it is in good shape it won't last long, would be surprised if it last thru the weekend.

In your shopping for a newer tractor pay close attention to the fitment of your snow blower. Make sure the newer models have enough ground clearance for the underslung pto shaft, make sure you can physically mount the blower to the front of the tractor.

Something else to consider, you can get a rear mount blower designed for forward travel too. You don't have to drive in reverse to use it.