Help me pick a tractor

/ Help me pick a tractor #1  

jbarker855

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 855
Hi fellas- I want to try to do this right the first time around. Looking to buy a bigger tractor. Currently, I have an 855 with turf tires, loader, 60 inch mower. I love it and use it all the time to keep up with the extensive landscaping around our house. Would definitely not give it up. But I would like to buy a second tractor to deal with some of the larger chores around the place. Some jobs really tax the 855 or are simply too big for it altogether.
We live on 18 acres, and I look after and have unlimited access to another 28 acres adjacent to mine. I may buy other adjacent lots in the future. Our land has a lot of steep slopes and rather narrow paths through the woods. The paths are such that I can get a pickup truck through them, but turning the truck around can be a real challenge.
The jobs I will have for the new tractor include the following:
-skidding large logs out of the forest
-using FEL to keep several paths across a stream passable
-Moving large rocks/boulders to maintain a wall of riprap that protects the dirt embankment that supports our bridge (old flatbed railcar). I suspect that larger sized boulders I have will still be too big to move with a FEL, but that's OK. I understand I am not buying a bulldozer.
-snowblowing driveway (1/4 mile long, rather steep hills)
-loader work with gravel for our drive and sand for our pretend beach at the pond
I'd like to keep cost under about $22,000. Will almost certainly buy used.

Strongly considering 4120. Also have considered 5105. The higher power and weight of the 5105 for less cost is tempting, but I think I might miss having hydro trans. Also wonder if wheelbase/turning radius will be too big and may be a handicap in the woods.
Thanks in advance for any insight guys.
-Jay

/ Help me pick a tractor #2  
I would probably go with the 4120 with FEL. I think you will like the hydrostatic transmission over the geared....especially if you are already used to hydro. If you are considering a used tractor, you might even look for a good 4000 ten series tractor such as a 4510, 4610 or a 4710 with loader. You may find one of these at a very reasonable price.:thumbsup: