Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #1  

Sodo

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B-series & Mini Excavator
I put a sheet of 22ga steel under my stove. I want to make it look 100 yrs old (in the next month!). Can anybody offer tips how to do that?

Here's what it looks like now, very even, bare steel

347432d1385345997-help-making-sheet-steel-look-image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 926
Last edited:
   / Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #2  
I put a sheet of 22ga steel under my stove. I want to make it look 100 yrs old (in the next month!). Can anybody offer tips how to do that?

I know my wife and kids made me look like a hundred years old; but it took longer than a month. Build a large fire and throw the sheet on top of it or you could blow torch it here and there. Spray it with bleach and this will rust it almost instantly. Rinse the bleach off after its done its job. Between the fire and the bleach, it'll look pretty rotten.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #3  
Fire will surely make it rust and look old but likely will warp the heck out of it. If you are looking for a rusty look, nothing beats salt water to bring on the rust. Wipe it down with acetone or other degreaser and then brush only one side (I wouldn't think you want to rust the bottom side)with salty water and let is set outside for a few days till you get the rust bloom that you want then rinse it thoroughly with clean water.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old
Thanks for the ideas but not sure that will do what I want & need it to remain perfectly flat. What I'm looking for is darkened, burnished look of steel thats been indoors for a long time. I dont want it to look like it was simply 'outdoors'. Gary have you done this intentionally and does it look "old"? Do you have to rub it out? Not looking for "neglected" but "indoors 100 yrs old".

Sometimes I see items at stores, obviously factory-made to look antique, that are pretty smooth, even& dark brown, not rust red. Its not a paint, it is a surface treatment. No light rust powder or flaking, and it looks like you can get it wet and it doesnt change (much). This hearth plate will have wet boots on it, drying out in use, and I dont want the boots tracking rust around. Theres got to be some acid or something that they use to make new stuff look antique. Hoping someone knows a way.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #5  
I think a web search with the words " add patina to steel" might give you some ideas.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old
Yup thats the word, thanks!

Found some good stuff, how-to videos on http://www.sculptnouveau.com
"Japanese Brown", its only $13 but I wish there was a reliable method with on-hand ingredients (so I can do it tomorrow not wait).

Last edited:
   / Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #7  
Go to the local gun shop and get a kit for browning muzzle loader barrels.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #9  
Muriatic acid or even old fashioned urine bath will do it just fine.

/ Help making sheet steel look 100 yrs old #10  
Buy small bottles of instant gun blueing, both blue and brown. Steel wool the sheet and pour the blueing on the sheet randomly and let it set for a while. Rinse off and repeat a couple times and then wipe down with light oil.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

FUEL TANK...ON TRAILER (A34808)
FUEL TANK...ON...
Sany 36" Bucket for Excavator SY75/SY80/SY95 and Backhoe SLB95 (A33113)
Sany 36" Bucket...
Big Tex Trailer (A33249)
Big Tex Trailer...
1019 5055E JOHN DEERE 2POST 2WD 7946HRS 16.9X28 S/N:1PY5055ELGG102681 (A34733)
1019 5055E JOHN...
New AGT Mini Excavator H15 Yellow (A34302)
New AGT Mini...
2468 ARIENS HYDROSTATIC RIDING MOWER BAD CARB (A34733)
2468 ARIENS...