Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #1  

kebo

Elite Member
Tractor
2001 John Deere 790 4x4, bar tires
I want to be able to link pieces of tubing together so I need some "interlocking" pieces that can be attached to the ends of tubing (or pipe) so the sections can then be joined together quickly & easily. I know everyone has seen a plumbers snake and how the individual sections attach together to extend the overall length, well that's sort of like what I need only, I need these pieces to be designed to mount to 1", or maybe 1.5" diameter tubing. I would prefer something that is like a "quick connect" too, meaning you don't have to use tools to attach the sections together, or break them down into single pieces again.

Or.... maybe there's a company that already makes tubing in various lengths that can be bought in sections, and each section just snaps or clips into each other to extend the length?

Anyone ever seen what I'm looking for?? This is for a rather odd project I have in mind so don't ask. :D

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #2  
What about chain link fence top rail is is about 1 3/8 od and one end is swagged to connect together about $10.00 for 10ft

tom

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #3  
How about inner sleeves?

Careful checking of tubing sizes will find you a size that will fit inside snuggly.
From there simple tack welds (or metal screws) will attach the sleeve and drilling the mating tube would allow a bolt and wing nut to fasten.

Car ports use this type of sleeving setup except they swage rather than insert.

Were you in my area, every spring lots af used car ports get sold real cheep as many colapse from snow loads.

Depending on usage you could even consider wood dowels as your inserts.

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #4  
how long does it need to be. I think there are flag poles made that way. might want to google collapsable flag pole.

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #5  
The canopy shelters also have interconnecting frames with various fittings and they have a pretty short life if left in the elements. I'll bet you can ask around or even ask on Craigslist to find some parts free or cheap.
ShelterLogic Max AP 10Ft.W Canopy — 20ft.L x 10ft.W x 9ft. 8in.H, 6-Leg, Model# 25757 | Max - 1 3/8in. Dia. Frame Canopies | Northern Tool + Equipment

Specific to your question, here are some fittings.
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1;ft1_hardware_fasteners;ft1_quik_klamp_pipe_fittings_1.html

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces
how long does it need to be. I think there are flag poles made that way. might want to google collapsable flag pole.

I googled telescoping flag poles, that might just work! At the moment, I'm not exactly sure how long I need the overall length to be so I'll have to make a measurement. There is a flag and map company in town, will have to go see what kind of poles they offer.

If the telescoping flag doesn't work, I'm pretty sure I can make these fittings work to join pipe sections together. The only drawback is they will require tools, but that may be ok after doing a little more thinking on my project.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...t1_quik_klamp_pipe_fittings_1;pg10015206.html

Thanks!:thumbsup:

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #7  
You could replace the hex screws in those farmtek clamps with knobs, so you could tighten/loosen by hand rather than by wrench. Depends on if those would get in the way for your mystery project that we all want pictures of . . .

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #8  
look at this link the pipes are swagged to slide in to and another (male/female)

Fence Top Rail - Chain Link Fence

yhst-27933644532887_2139_17849484

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #9  
If you got tubing like EMT conduit or something similar, the connectors that hold scaffolding sections together may work. They are designed to connect snugly and securely, yet come apart without tools. The have a center stop and extend each way into the hollow uprights of the scaffolding.

That is, providing the tubing is not carrying liquid.

The fence top rail would work if you sanded the tapered end a bit to make it slide in and out easier, then, fit the pieces together, drill holes all the way trough and use something like a locking tractor drop pin to hold it together. No tools needed to assemble and disassemble.

/ Help - Looking for "mechanical interlocking" pieces #10