Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE #1  

Jduub

Tractor
Jd 2240, JD 1010, jd 420
Hello All.
I've had a HOWARD HR4 125 SU for a couple years and am finally getting around to preparing it to do some work. What is holding me up figuring out how to add oil to the chain compartment. There just isn't a filler plug anywhere to be found. I've looked and gone back and looked several times. Nope not there!. I've also spent days looking for a operator manual, can't find one of those either. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jerry (jduub)

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE #2  
Good Morning Jduub and welcome to TBN. I, at one time, had a pto driven snow blower. It's chain case had no separate filler hole/plug. I found that one of the top bolts on the chain case also served as a filler hole.

I checked a blow up on the Howard web site and it does not show a filler plug. Doesn't show any bolt that could serve that function either.

Maybe somebody will come along with the needed info. Good luck - have a great day.

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE #3  
In the case of no filler bolt or oil level check bolt, are you sure it even takes oil. Did a tiller chain drive for a customer last month that was in the same issue, and it called for 2.2 lbs of GP grease. Fill the cover and bolt it on.

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE #4  
RandyT - I was wondering about that also. Either general purpose - GP - grease or a spray can full of motorcycle chain lube. I would go with - packing the chain case with GP grease and bolt it back shut.

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE
RandyT - I was wondering about that also. Either general purpose - GP - grease or a spray can full of motorcycle chain lube. I would go with - packing the chain case with GP grease and bolt it back shut.
oosik, Randyt, thanks for the replies. I think you may be right. I had never heard of greasing a chain, always oil or chain lube. I will remove the cover and check it out.

Jerry

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE
oosik, Randyt, thanks for the replies. I think you may be right. I had never heard of greasing a chain, always oil or chain lube. I will remove the cover and check it out.

Jerry
Ok, I checked it out and it is indeed lubricated by grease. I gobed high temp moly. As as side note I got to digging around on some other sites and found out that a John Deere 450 cultivator is identical to a Howard HR4. Found out that the 450 also used grease to lube the chain. Go figure. Probably made by Howard for JD.

/ Help! HR4 125 SU CHAIN LUBE #7  
I am also in possession of a Howard Rotovator from a neighbors pasture. I want to run it but am having a heck of a time finding the manual with oil or grease requirements and where to fill it. It is a J model, looks to be 48" or possibly 50". But I did find some info for lubricating this, using the lower fitting as the "full" mark. But not sure if that is all there is to lube. Since its been sitting for 20 plus years, I think it wise to grease it up. If anyone has a link to Howard maintenance site, would appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_1878.jpg
    IMG_1878.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1879.jpg
    IMG_1879.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 39