Help !!! Fire Ants !!!

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #21  
I hit a mound with my trimmer and slung ants on me. They ate my skinny ass up !!! No Geniva Convention at my place, all fire ants must DIE !!!!!
You just keep them down there... SO far I'm far enough north of you to not have them. Just like no Cottonmouths.... šŸ»

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!!
You just keep them down there... SO far I'm far enough north of you to not have them. Just like no Cottonmouths.... šŸ»
I hear ya, my neighbor lost his dog from a cottonmouth. Bit the poor thing four times. Gotta creek next to me, Iā€™ve shot three this year. Arkansas game laws say you canā€™t kill any snake, screw that !!!

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #24  
My neighbor lost a dog to a rattlesnake not too long ago. One of ours got bit last spring. She survived with antivenom a sizeable donation to the clinic. :oops:
Everyone I find around the ranch is a goner.

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #25  
I have been battling fire ants lately. Iā€™ve been using a product called ā€œSurrenderā€œ. What is happening is all the ants do is move 10 feet and start again. Can anybody recommend a product that works well. Damn fire ants !!!!
Something's wrong if Surrender doesn't kill them dead! I've been using that for several years. Nothing I've found works better. Surrender 'kills' them rather than simply moving them around.

Keep in mind, ants will & do have their main nest up to 15' underground, so it might take 2 or 3 passes to kill off the main party.

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!!
Something's wrong if Surrender doesn't kill them dead! I've been using that for several years. Nothing I've found works better. Surrender 'kills' them rather than simply moving them around.

Keep in mind, ants will & do have their main nest up to 15' underground, so it might take 2 or 3 passes to kill off the main party.
I was using Surrender with some success but now I got a bunch of mounds. But I just realized that the gas co. ran a gas transmission line next to me in the woods. I bet that stirred them up and came over to me.

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #27  
My neighbor lost a dog to a rattlesnake not too long ago. One of ours got bit last spring. She survived with antivenom a sizeable donation to the clinic. :oops:
Everyone I find around the ranch is a goner.
Our local hardware store buys rattlesnake skins. $3 a foot I believe the sign says.

A nearby town used to host an annual rattlesnake roundup with prizes. The snakes became lunch for attendees. Tastes like chicken I hear. šŸ“
I doubt PETA would approve these days. šŸ™„

Last edited:
   / Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #28  
I'm curious to know about pet safety with these ant killers. We have several dogs and puppy in the effected area.
When used properly, and according to the label, bifenthrin will be safe for pets. It also is very good for protecting your pets from fleas and ticks. And it controls termites.

Don't take my word for it. Always read, understand, and follow the label on any and all pesticides.

Last edited:
   / Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #29  
Was curious if bifen hurts the earthworm population.
I spray it around the house and buildings perimeter.
Im hoping the fire ants stay south of us, but who knows. I have started seeing dead armadillos on the Cumberland Parkway. We dont need those its bad enough we have possums.
With the rise in coyote and turkey populations here the snake sightings has dropped dramatically. Cottonmouths only in the western part of the state. All we get is timber rattlers n copperheads.

/ Help !!! Fire Ants !!! #30  
I bought some Bifen-IT for a carpenter bees problem we had, and it worked great and fast. Used 2-1/2ozs /gallon of water for bees. I tried it on about 50 fire ant mounds my from lawn had which was maybe an acre or two.

I mixed approx 1-2 ozs Bifen-IT to 8 gallons of water in my water tank sprayer behind my garden tractor. I just drove around and sprayed a couple feet around each mound and then stuck the sprayer into the center of each mound and pushed it in while spraying while saturating the mound. That took care of them but I need to do that again each year to keep them in check.

If I was really fanatical about it I could just spray the whole lane with a good soaking but this method slows them way down, well enough for me.