Height Impact of Loading Tires

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #1  

Red Horse

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere 655ZTrak, Deere 4720 Cab, 400 X LT 155
Anyone have an idea on effect ballasting tires has on total height? I have 17.5L-24's on my JD 4720 and just replaced my barn doors with an OH- (didn't want to spend a half hour shoveling snow before I could get the Deere out-wasn't a problem this winter:laughing:).
In any case with the new door open, I have 1/2" clearance under door. My guess is when I load the tires, I should get a bit of sidewall defelection and if anything should pick up a bit of clearance.

Any opinions?

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #2  
Not sure you would lose or gain anything height wise by loading the tires.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #3  
Anyone have an idea on effect ballasting tires has on total height? I have 17.5L-24's on my JD 4720 and just replaced my barn doors with an OH- (didn't want to spend a half hour shoveling snow before I could get the Deere out-wasn't a problem this winter:laughing:).
In any case with the new door open, I have 1/2" clearance under door. My guess is when I load the tires, I should get a bit of sidewall defelection and if anything should pick up a bit of clearance.

Any opinions?
Chances are slim, but you may. You still need to inflate the tire to the recommended pressure with air, or just put enough air in so all the tread is touching the floor. I did the latter.......I have no clue as to how much air is in my tires.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #4  
My tractor tires is so small, when I added liquid ballast, there seems to be no height difference.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #5  
Its not gonna make any difference.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #6  
I see your concern about having only 1/2" clearance under the door. You first could just fill them with water and check the clearance to be sure, then drain and fill with your choice of solution. There will always be some water left in the tire-that area below the valve stem when at 6:00 unless you break down the rim or use a real skinny straw.
I wish this was posted a few days ago when I reloaded all four of my tires and I would have done the measurements for you. Perhaps someone else is getting ready to do it.
Any chance of a modification to the door frame? Change out the 2x bottom trim to 1x? Is there any 2x fill stuffed in the wall under the existing header?
Oddly enough my recently filled R1s look as if there is more casing touching the concrete than when only filled with air so MAYBE the tractor dropped a fraction in height.
The reason that I drained and refilled was due to installing some additional rear hydraulics which required a rear tire removal that was safer to do empty. I discovered that the solution was just plain water so I drained all three-yes, all three as the shop where I bought the tractor new several years prior missed filling one of the fronts! Lunch break???:confused: The sales person never even told me at the time of purchase that the tires were filled with water. They're now bathing in RV antifreeze.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #7  
I would be really surprised if it makes any difference, and if it somehow did it would be very minor and would lower it, so if it fits unloaded you would be fine. One trick you can use is to adjust the oh door so it raises inside of the entrance frame if its the entry that is the issue vs the interior.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #8  
Probly a hair... perhaps two.
larry

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #9  
just using liquid balast or wheel weights you don't gain or loose anything on hight with a properly inflated tire. There is a minimal hight gain/loss if you have 8psi or 15psi of air in the rear tire.

/ Height Impact of Loading Tires #10  
There is no change of height with fluid in tires. Only change is amount of air required to bring tire up to correct inflation.