Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter?

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter?
If it's a gear drive tractor and dont have wet clutches or wet brakes use the cheapest hyd fluid you can find to flush the system. With that much water in that oil I suspect its going to need at least one dump and fill.

Something else to consider is with that much oil in the system and those repairs being at the bottom of the machine the water could have separated and froze in the winter.
Yep I am racing against the clock to at least get flush the system once this week and get all that waterlogged oil out ASAP. Starting to dip below freezing in the evenings here in New England

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #32  
Glad you are leak free. While very uncommon it could have been the filter itself. I had one that wasn't crimped properly or something and leaked.

UPDATE and a question for those following along (Thank you for the tips and support!)

I drained the milkshake, emptied and re-installed the two hydraulic oil filters and filled up with ~4 Gals of TSC premium hydraulic fluid (total capacity is 4.23 Gal). Fired up and drove around / moved the bucket a bit to get the oil worked in.

Question: the cap on my hydraulic oil tank does not have a dipstick attached to it. Any tips for where to find a replacement and/or simply how to measure appropriately where the "fill" line would be?

For now I tried to under-fill the tank a bit, so if I stick a dowel into the tank it's about 5" until it touches the oil. I would like to get the proper measurement to fill the rest, then run the tractor for a week or two and then re flush and put in premium oil for the winter and beyond.

Enjoy this pic of the nasty oil I swapped out.

Attachments

• IMG_8002.JPG
    IMG_8002.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
   / Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #34  
Did I miss where you said how water was getting in?

Did I miss where you said how water was getting in?
Haven't figured it out yet; first order of business was swapping the water out before winter as it's starting to get cold at night.

Previous owner did share that the tractor had been left outside the past few years, despite being covered earlier in its life.

I will be keeping it covered and keeping tabs on the oil, so I guess we'll see how much/if the issue persists. I'm all ears for ways to find out how water would be getting in regardless.

Good thing is, I had not seen so much as a drip of oil beneath the tractor until the oil filter gasket gave out and left a river down my driveway 😅

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #36  
Some tractors have shifters and other places the boots go bad and let water in. I’m not familiar with yours so I can’t say.

/ Heavy oil leak – possible it's the filter? #37  
a reply from the thread below

“Your tractor should be the same as my TC18. Look in front of the seat. There should be a knob on the floor of the tractor. This will let you check your hydraulic fluid. To fill it look between the lift arms behind the seat just above where the top link connects”

a reply from the thread below

“Your tractor should be the same as my TC18. Look in front of the seat. There should be a knob on the floor of the tractor. This will let you check your hydraulic fluid. To fill it look between the lift arms behind the seat just above where the top link connects”

This looks like a great resource, thank you @Rockbadchild!