Heating Question part 2

/ Heating Question part 2 #11  
i have had oil and gas heat in the house that i live in and have extensively added to and remodeled. the oil heat is good, and with the on site tank you are self sufficient as long as you can supply a small amout of electricity to the furnace, these come in 90% efficient now also which i would say is a definate must. insulate heavily if at all possible, that will keep your temperatures very even and save you a bundle. i doubled the square footage of the house, insulated all ext. walls and ceiling old and new during the renovation, and the heating bill is about the same. house built in 63, no insulation in the walls or ceilings.

i would always recommend that you build in a secondary heat source- wood stove/ aux furnace. it has come in handy around here a few times. i have a wood stove plugged into the furnace ducts, it has its own fan and circulates hot air through the furnace ducts, when it drops below 35 degrees i run the wood stove, really really really cuts the nat. gas use. the furnace runs about 1/3 as much with the wood burner going. you will save a bundle of dough in the long run by making that kind of investment now.

alex

/ Heating Question part 2 #12  
I'm in the process of trying to make the same decision also. We are comparing propane forced air & geothermal. Both utiliize a duct system that can manage cooling also. Geothermal cost more up front, but also supports water heating & will cost less than propane to operate over the long haul. I also want to support my heating with a woodburner (can't beat my free wood) which has me leaning toward forced air since I may not "use" the geothermal much & therefore not realize it's operating savings to cover the initial higher cost. If you are not going to burn free wood, then I would suggest that you have as many geo. vs fuel comparisons done as possible. The utility companies & heating venders can supply assistance & info.

/ Heating Question part 2 #13  
See my post on heting question 1 but as an add detail , make sure if you do go with forced hot air , DESIGN IT FOR ALL THE DUCT WORK!!!!!!!
If I had a nickel for every time I craeked my head on that !@#$%^&*()_!!!! duct , we all could retire to your own idea of this side of heaven ......
I would sure like to get my hands on the guy who put the system in the house , ........just 5 minutes alone
The house is the inlaws , and was to be turned over for a wedding gift , but as things go , all that was turned over was up keep , repair , back taxes , and taxes and all the other thing that go with a money pit house in the city ,,,,,,,,, just the thing for a counrty boy at heart needs ,,,,,,

/ Heating Question part 2 #14  
Anybody know of anybody doing oil heat in Oklahoma? Looks cost effective. Most everybody is doing nat. gas if avail then propane or electric. Any ideas as to why no oil burners in OK? Nat gas would be my first choice, but isn't available.