Heat taking its toll on our birdlife

/ Heat taking its toll on our birdlife #11  
While driving on I40 North of the fire in Cleveland County, OK, late afternoon yesterday, the temperature reading on the car jumped to 118 degrees in the vicinity of the fire (heat blown North by South wind).

High heat, low humidity, and a little wind is a recipe for disaster.

/ Heat taking its toll on our birdlife #12  
Our dog bowl needs washed out just about every time we take him out due to birds getting into it. the Yellow Canaries have been loving our 5 gallon buckets of water setting for garden watering. I fill them up and let it warm up over the next day then water with the warm water on the cucumbers & zucchini plants re-full the buckets. They are in the tree making a lot of tweeting Saturday morning as we were setting about 20 feet away in the shade on chairs. the buckets were fresh full & cold. they were waiting for us to move and we did over to the next tree and sat & watched as about 20 or so landed on the buckets and dipped their heads in and took a lot of long drinks. a pretty good ruckus and entertaining too. we have lots of birds, this year we had a nesting pair of prey birds, not sure of the species about size of a crow rather plain tan/brown with dark brown spots. sound like red headed wood pecker when they talk at me when in the woods. the one is very vocal and follows me around calling to me. hoping I'll chase out a rabbit chipmunk or small bird I'm sure. they were in the creek bathing/drinking not really sure as I only saw them jump startled when I came across the bridge. creek only has a few holes left and has seeped from hole to hole through the gravel bed. I need to deepen a few of the holes again for the wild life as soon it will be dry if we dont get more rain (last night rained a lot thru this am so hope that will help...)

mark