Hearing aid question

/ Hearing aid question #21  
A guy might learn to read lips when faced with that higher cost.
Even with hearing aids I didn't realize how much lip reading I was doing. While everyone was wearing those stupid masks I couldn't understand a sole. Talk to me while wearing a mask and I am just guessing at what they are saying.

Been wanting to try the over the counter aids as they will let the user adjust them. I have to go back to the doc to get mine adjusted. Tried them both and couldn't tell the difference between the 5K pair and the 3K pair. So, 3K it is for now. The doc does clean them for me, which seems to be the biggest problem as I am always out in the dirt. :)

For me the ringing goes away when I have the hearing aids in. I can actually hear those frequencies again so my brain doesn't have to make something up.

/ Hearing aid question #22  
It's been years since I tried OTC hearing aids. My experience was not even close to worth the money at the time. I have such good experiences with Phonak, I don't attempt to use anything else. I have been curious about the Bose commercials that I have been seeing lately. I would love to see an honest review of them. But I bet they are expensive.

/ Hearing aid question #23  
Anyone notice their tinnitus changes when they drink?

I'm one of the lucky ones. My doctor actually suggested I give it a try! It turns out, my tinnitus disappears completely when I consume alcohol. Gives me an excuse to tip a few. Doctors orders! 😄

/ Hearing aid question #24  
Anyone notice their tinnitus changes when they drink?

I'm one of the lucky ones. My doctor actually suggested I give it a try! It turns out, my tinnitus disappears completely when I consume alcohol. Gives me an excuse to tip a few. Doctors orders! 😄
Wow! I am gonna have to try that. Lol! However, a lot of things disappear when I drink. :ROFLMAO:

Mine are Oticon. Been very happy.

/ Hearing aid question #25  
Thought I had posted this before, but it is not here. I might not have pushed the post reply button. If I somehow violated a rule, I apologize.

I have tried 3 Costco hearing aids. They worked no better for me than the 4 or 5 (or more) over the counter aids I have tried. I think the problem with the Costco aids is they do not amplify anything above 8 kHz. I do not know about the others.

As a retired electrical design engineer, I am trying to design my own hearing aids, with a response to 15 kHz or above. I will post my progress if there is any interest.

I am not trying to generate any business--I have no interest in it.

Last edited:
   / Hearing aid question #26  
Thought I had posted this before, but it is not here. I might not have pushed the post reply button. If I somehow violated a rule, I apologize.

I have tried 3 Costco hearing aids. They worked no better for me than the 4 or 5 (or more) over the counter aids I have tried. I think the problem with the Costco aids is they do not amplify anything above 8 kHz. I do not know about the others.

As a retired electrical design engineer, I am trying to design my own hearing aids, with a response to 15 kHz or above. I will post my progress if there is any interest.

I am not trying to generate any business--I have no interest in it.
It is the high frequencies that I need. Mine do not even amplify the low frequencies as I don't need that. Don't know what frequency the Oticon goes up to but until I got them I thought frogs, crickets, and birds had gone extinct. Now when I go out in the woods and turn them up to max it is like a symphony of nature. :)

Oh, and I tried the alcohol thing and it works. By the third drink I either didn't hear the ringing or didn't care. Lol!

/ Hearing aid question #27  
The frequencies important to understanding speech are way lower than 15K. Speech is mostly in the 2K to 4K range with 8K about the upper limit. Much lower/higher than tis range is what a human with "normal" hearing is capable of hearing, not what a hard-of-hearing needs to understand speech and sounds important to function in everyday life.

Correctly fitted hearing aids and accessories with capabilities to perform well in noise, on the telephone, watching TV... is way more important than simply a wide frequency range.

A good audiologist can be very useful in finding the right solution.

/ Hearing aid question
Update

The new hearing aids help my wife hear cell phone conversations. The phone speakers shut off & bluetooth sends the audio to both hearing aids. She also thinks they do better than the 5 year old ones she was using.

/ Hearing aid question #29  
I had a friend that liked the Bluetooth option for watching tv.

He would put one hearing aid on the tv, and leave the other to hear the family.

Made it so he didn't have to have the tv real loud, which made the family happy.