HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #11  
Could somebody get me a link? I've got to show this story to some of my hunter buddies around here. They don't believe me.

Eric

Eric

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #12  
Eric,
This is the best that I could find. It is a summary, the entire article was a lot more informative. If I can find an old paper I will scan it.
http://nl12.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_multi=LH&p_product=NewsLibrary&p_theme=newslibrary&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=500&p_text_search-0=elk&s_dispstring=elk%20AND%20date(last%20180%20days)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=-180qzD&p_perpage=25&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no
Hey it works/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.
It is the third article down.

Matt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mwagoner on 12/05/01 01:58 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #13  
The link to the article will work but needs the first "http://" removed. Thanks for posting the link!

DaveV

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #14  
Geez $2 just to read the article? Any other links?

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #15  
That's the only one that I can find. Yeah it stinks.
I will try and find the real paper and scan it.

Matt

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #16  
I live about 30 miles from where this happened. First of all the elk was killed on some strip mining lease. Sort of public land since some of the mining companies get a big tax break for allowing hunting. The elk was a spike and about 3-4 hundred pounds. According to my best friends wife the guy drove it over to the school where she works and somebody reported it there. The guy honestly thought it was a large deer and Elizabeth said it look very much like one and she would know. Here's what you probably won't read in the papers. The rocky mountain elk foundation and the fish and wildlfe have been trying to stock elk in eastern ky for about four or five years. They release the animals on the strips and expect them to stay there. When the food runs out the elk begin to move and turn-up a hundred miles away in somebodies garden. If you run a coal company and put enough fert. on a rock it will grow something for a while, at least long enough to get away from it. (that's a whole nuther post). Also large areas that were open to hunting are being closed to protect the elk,not popular with the locals, and the game wardens we have spend all their time in these areas. The area residents are forced to contend with these problems while the guys in frankfort play up the PR and pat themselves on the back for returning the matjestic elk back to Eastern Ky. Across the border in Va. any licensed deer hunter is encouraged to harvest any stray elk. I could go on for days but remember there are probably two sides to every story. I'm sure they will make an example of him to try to deter what others have thought of doing on purpose. Especially when it comes to poor dumb hillbillies, just a little sensitive on the subject.

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #17  
I am more concerend about the old farmer and his poor mule. I can see that an Elk might be mistaken by an idiot for being a deer but how does one confuse a mule with a deer? Perhaps there is something to be said for orange tractors during hunting season lest one be mistaken for a deer that looks like a jackass riding a tractor.
J

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #18  
JR, Hope the new year brings you all you need and most of what you want. About the ole boy and his "DEER", he was hunting MULE deer.

I hadn't thought about the safety advantages of a tractor in hunter safety orange, my Kubota has another plus!

Woke up this morning to 10 degrees F. on the outside thermometer and the water barely dripped from the inside faucets. Seems that yours truly missed a spot last year while putting heater tape on the plumbing at the well head in the well house. Soooooooo the itsy bitsy teesy weensy little pipe that goes to the pressure switch that controls cut in and cut out pressures for the well pump/pressure tank froze its lil backsides and the pump ran till it popped a breaker. Found the breaker easily then after a 1/2 hour search for one of my half dozen voltmeters found the frozen switch thingy visually. Thawed it out and everything works fine now.

Of course my wife and mother thought the pipes froze under the new house. Oh ye of litle faith... Will go buy a small thermostatically controlled heater tape and wrap the itsy bitsy pipe and insulate it. Whew!!!! Sure glad I didn't find a bunch of burst pipes!

Well, break time is over gotta get back at it.

Patrick

/ HEADLINE: Kentucy man bags giant deer #19  
Hi Patrick, thanks and a great new year to you.
I suppose the "mule" deer could explain the hunters confusion---ookkkkkkkkkk!
Maybe during these hunter ed courses they make people take nowdays plastic identification cards could be handed out with common animals, farm animals, humans, vehicles etc represented so as to aid the hunter in identification, kinda like the old spotter cards used by the public back in WWII so they could identify the type aircraft that was about to blow them to bits.
J