Headlight update

/ Headlight update #21  
I did retrofit the filament headlight bulbs in both my M9's to LED bulbs but I don't drive it on the road too often. In fact all my lights on both of them are now LED

/ Headlight update
I did retrofit the filament headlight bulbs in both my M9's to LED bulbs but I don't drive it on the road too often. In fact all my lights on both of them are now LED
When I was in Buhl Idaho for a graduation party, I noticed alot of night time farming activity. The big JD I drove past around 2am had a massive set of LED’s set up. One of the teenagers said it was potato and bean harvesting time.
I remember thinking that the youth there were some of the smartest, well mannered teenagers I ever met. What a nice little town and all the people I met were great to talk to and interact with. A very good memory… :)

/ Headlight update #23  
Better enjoy your LED's while you can. The NHTSA is in the process of outlawing them for street use because they blind oncoming drivers. In Europe, the LED headlights dim automatically when the sense an oncoming vehicle. Not here and that is about to change and candidly, I'm glad of it.

That and punk kids with their jacked up pickup trucks with LED light bars. which are 100% illegal for on road use, blinding everyone on the road. If I was a cop, I'd write everyone of the punks for illegal use of lights.

I'm to the point now where I won't drive at night because of the blinding LED lights.
More wishful thinking than reality.

/ Headlight update #24  
I believe you'll be unpleasantly surprised. All depends on how many 'in the know' individuals get pizzed off about being blinded by LED headlights and illegal light bars and in Europe, the 'technology' is already in widespread use so adopting it here is a no 'big thing'. I know for a fact that I'd love to extinguish those light bars that young punks have on their lifted pickup trucks, extinguish by a FMJ.....lol

People today (mostly young people) are very inconsiderate of others. I'd love to educate them if I could get away with it. I cannot so I refrain from driving at night now. Easy answer for me.

/ Headlight update
   / Headlight update #26  
The sanding and polishing kits for plastic headlights work very well and can transform dull yellowed lights back to new.

HG0086MA1B_DIY-Headlight-Restoration-Kit-Manual_full.jpg

I don't want to endorse any single kit. I think they all work by removing the outer layer and polishing the plastic underneath.

/ Headlight update
I looked up laser beam headlights for the sake of a “light“ humor post and just discovered that BMW builds laser headlights. 1/2 mile sight distance. Wow, can you imagine these hitting you in the eyes? Instant prescription change. I wonder if the aftermarket community will call them the new ‘light sabers’.

/ Headlight update #28  
The sanding and polishing kits for plastic headlights work very well and can transform dull yellowed lights back to new.

HG0086MA1B_DIY-Headlight-Restoration-Kit-Manual_full.jpg

I don't want to endorse any single kit. I think they all work by removing the outer layer and polishing the plastic underneath.
Not really, tried that on my 97 Ford F350 and while they do remove the cloudy condition, it don't last long. The new headlight lenses are made from a non yellowing compound. In fact I just bought a complete replacement set from 1A Auto in the new non yellowing compound.

Like I said, went down that road and the results are temporary as the UV light will cause them to yellow again.

I'm installing a set of Sylvania Halogens, not LED. I am installing LED's in the parking lights and turn signals however. Just did that to my wife's Suburban as well. Seems as though the DRL's in the Suburban don't last for beans and they are difficult to replace as you have to remove the grill and the headlights themselves to replace them Done that 2 times no, won't do that again...LED's

/ Headlight update #29  
Better enjoy your LED's while you can. The NHTSA is in the process of outlawing them for street use because they blind oncoming drivers. In Europe, the LED headlights dim automatically when the sense an oncoming vehicle. Not here and that is about to change and candidly, I'm glad of it.

That and punk kids with their jacked up pickup trucks with LED light bars. which are 100% illegal for on road use, blinding everyone on the road. If I was a cop, I'd write everyone of the punks for illegal use of lights.
I don't know why the NHTSA is dragging their feet on updating headlight standards. People wouldn't have to do these illegal headlight mods if stock headlights didn't suck so bad. Sheesh, old school sealed beams worked better than some of these modern headlights.
Agree with you on the idiots with the LED light bars.

I've used those kits before, and they kinda work, but the results don't last very long. You pretty much have to repeat the process every 6 months or so once the lenses yellow. I'll just use some polishing compound, does the same thing.

/ Headlight update #30  
I don't know why the NHTSA is dragging their feet on pushing automakers to putting better headlights on vehicles. People wouldn't have to do these illegal headlight mods if stock headlights didn't suck so bad. Sheesh, old school sealed beams worked better than some of these modern headlights.
Agree with you on the idiots with the LED light bars.

I've used those kits before, and they kinda work, but the results don't last very long. You pretty much have to repeat the process every 6 months or so once the lenses yellow. I'll just use some polishing compound, does the same thing.
I've found that Crest whitening toothpaste and a cheesecloth works just as well and it can brush your teeth and improve your breath at the same time...(y) Like I stated, the results are temporary at best and why I bought a complete set of new lights that aren't made from the compound that yellows in UV light.

I think the younger set thinks the illegal light bars look cool or something. They (LE) needs to start handing out tickets for them and that would put an end to that crap.

I will say I have a set (2) of KC Daylighters in the lower bumper of my F350 and they are way over the top wicked and when some idiot is coming at me with their light bar on or ill aimed LED headlights, all it takes is a quick flash of the Daylighters and they dim real quick because they will flat blind you right now. Had some idiot in a Jeep do that to me last fall. Flashed my high beams and he ignored it so I burned his retina's out with the Daylighters. He had to pull over on the side of the road because I blinded him. Tit for tat. They are each 295 candle power filament (sealed beams) and certainly not for on road use either.

I really don't like inconsiderate drivers, no matter what age or sex they are. I'm totally not prejudiced.