Headlight update

/ Headlight update #11  
My son put leds in his 08 250. I was worried they would blind people but I was impressed with how clear and sharp the cut off was. Much better than the originals.

/ Headlight update #12  
The grill marker lights aren't bright enough to blind anyone. They do make the vehicle more noticeable under some conditions.

LEDs in halogen headlight housings can have bad light patterns like a cutoff that's poor so the lights blind on coming drivers or poor coverage of the road. If they're in dedicated housings they should be better.
OK, my mistake. They looked kind of bright in the photo. Some states get kind of persnickety about marker or fog lights. I've had vehicles fail inspection because the fog lights were independent of hi/lo beam, though where I live now no one seems to care.

Most aftermarket LED headlight bulbs are not DOT approved, and can at least in theory cause a failed safety inspection. I'm on the fence on putting them in my Acadia...headlights leave something to be desired. Reviews I've read online seem to be mixed as to effectiveness vs blinding oncoming drivers, though it seems a lot of vehicles these days do have blinding headlights.

/ Headlight update
OK, my mistake. They looked kind of bright in the photo. Some states get kind of persnickety about marker or fog lights. I've had vehicles fail inspection because the fog lights were independent of hi/lo beam, though where I live now no one seems to care.

Most aftermarket LED headlight bulbs are not DOT approved, and can at least in theory cause a failed safety inspection. I'm on the fence on putting them in my Acadia...headlights leave something to be desired. Reviews I've read online seem to be mixed as to effectiveness vs blinding oncoming drivers, though it seems a lot of vehicles these days do have blinding headlights.
My F250 came with factory fog/driving lights. The switch is integrated into the headlights on/off switch. Somebody had stolen them and the insurance wouldn't replace them. If you notice in the picture a wiring harness laying on the concrete, that was for the original fog lights. It was hacked to pieces and had previous repairs, so I just unplugged it and removed it. There isn’t much fog here in our desert climate so I never replaced the lights. The mounting brackets are still in the bumper.
we don’t have vehicle safety inspections here, only emission (smog) check.
1713136166664.png

/ Headlight update #14  
Do those amber lights serve any purpose other than potentially blinding oncoming drivers and looking kind of dumb?
They have a purpose on the Raptor, duallys and larger trucks as they are wider than 80” (I think that’s the correct #) and are required by DOT.

On trucks less than the specified limit they are just for show like on my Ram 2500. I bought my truck used so I have them, but if I’d ordered one it wouldn’t have them required.

/ Headlight update #15  
2007 F250 headlights were getting foggy and the light was not very good either. The plastic chrome was peeling off the grill too.
I peeled the rest of the chrome off, sanded and painted the grill. I updated the headlights with modern looking LED driving lights integrated into the headlight case. I also installed ‘Raptor style’ lights in the grill.
Gives the front a modern look and the lights are very bright.
I didn’t take a before picture.
View attachment 861979
With the park/driving lights only.
View attachment 861980
With headlights on.
View attachment 861981
Looks great.

What brand are they?

/ Headlight update #16  
2007 F250 headlights were getting foggy and the light was not very good either. The plastic chrome was peeling off the grill too.
I peeled the rest of the chrome off, sanded and painted the grill. I updated the headlights with modern looking LED driving lights integrated into the headlight case. I also installed ‘Raptor style’ lights in the grill.
Gives the front a modern look and the lights are very bright.
I didn’t take a before picture.
View attachment 861979
With the park/driving lights only.
View attachment 861980
With headlights on.
View attachment 861981
The dented front bumper really sets the whole thing off....:ROFLMAO:

/ Headlight update #17  
Better enjoy your LED's while you can. The NHTSA is in the process of outlawing them for street use because they blind oncoming drivers. In Europe, the LED headlights dim automatically when the sense an oncoming vehicle. Not here and that is about to change and candidly, I'm glad of it.

That and punk kids with their jacked up pickup trucks with LED light bars. which are 100% illegal for on road use, blinding everyone on the road. If I was a cop, I'd write everyone of the punks for illegal use of lights.

I'm to the point now where I won't drive at night because of the blinding LED lights.

/ Headlight update
Better enjoy your LED's while you can. The NHTSA is in the process of outlawing them for street use because they blind oncoming drivers. In Europe, the LED headlights dim automatically when the sense an oncoming vehicle. Not here and that is about to change and candidly, I'm glad of it.

That and punk kids with their jacked up pickup trucks with LED light bars. which are 100% illegal for on road use, blinding everyone on the road. If I was a cop, I'd write everyone of the punks for illegal use of lights.

I'm to the point now where I won't drive at night because of the blinding LED lights.
The LEDs on my wife’s Subaru are self dimming and brighter than the ones on my truck. I put them on manual mode so people stop flashing their high beams at me. It’s kinda cool to see them self adjust (goes crosseyed)when the lights are turned on.
I’ve noticed the lifted truck owners with bright lights , have overlooked readjusting their headlights to compensate. They are blinding!

/ Headlight update
They have a purpose on the Raptor, duallys and larger trucks as they are wider than 80” (I think that’s the correct #) and are required by DOT.
Good to know, I thought they were aesthetic only on the raptors. I knew all the 1 tons came with them as a requirement. (markers on the cab)

Last edited: