Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts?

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #1  

Gale Hawkins

Super Star Member
Tractor
1948 Allis Chambers Model B 1976 265 MF / 1983 JD 310B Backhoe / 1966 Ford 3000 Diesel / 1980 3600 Diesel
Raw Video: Car Hits School Bus Head-On - YouTube

Those of us living in rural areas on two lane roads are at risk like in the video.

This school bus accident video supports my training of the kids to stay in your lane to decrease your risk. There can be no 100% right answer. Besides the legal issues there is the law of motion. In this case most likely the car was passing so for the bus to go left was not possible. Had the bus not left its lane the car in error may have missed or just clipped the bus.

Not sure what I would do in the moment however.

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #2  

Those of us living in rural areas on two lane roads are at risk like in the video.

This school bus accident video supports my training of the kids to stay in your lane to decrease your risk. There can be no 100% right answer. Besides the legal issues there is the law of motion. In this case most likely the car was passing so for the bus to go left was not possible. Had the bus not left its lane the car in error may have missed or just clipped the bus.

Gale wasn't the bus driver doing what is taught to avoid and accident. He was giving the car a opening by moving to the right. The vehicle driver may have been looking for his dropped cell phone.
Recently driving country road black top 12' lanes and at a 90 deg. curve a large blue Ford van was coming around with rear trying to pass the front. so my decission was to hit broad side or take the ditch I chose the ditch. messed up my vehicle and the van never stopped so don't know the cause of his problem was.
ken

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #3  
Although, no one on the bus was seriously hurt, I have often pondered and questioned the following regulations regarding school buses. Why are seat belts not required to be on school buses for the passengers? The bus driver has one. Just a thought?

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #4  
Although, no one on the bus was seriously hurt, I have often pondered and questioned the following regulations regarding school buses. Why are seat belts not required to be on school buses for the passengers? The bus driver has one. Just a thought?
NY requires that they be installed in any post 1984 bus, but leaves it up to school boards to mandate use. In a front/rear collision, the seat-backs do more to help than belts would, but in a side impact or a rollover, belts are invaluable.

Aaron Z

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #5  
3 less meth heads in the car.

Thank God none of the kids nor the bus driver were killed.

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #6  
the seats in a school bus are designed to absorb and cushion the impact of a flying body. since it seems like there were no serious injuries on the bus it looks like it works.

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts?
Gale wasn't the bus driver doing what is taught to avoid and accident. He was giving the car a opening by moving to the right. The vehicle driver may have been looking for his dropped cell phone.
Recently driving country road black top 12' lanes and at a 90 deg. curve a large blue Ford van was coming around with rear trying to pass the front. so my decission was to hit broad side or take the ditch I chose the ditch. messed up my vehicle and the van never stopped so don't know the cause of his problem was.
ken

The school bus driver attempts to leave the marked lane of travel and gets hit by the driver in error who is attempting to completely miss the school bus as I view the video. Moving targets are hard to both hit or miss it seems. It is clear from the video the bus driver compounded that risks to the kids by attempting to leave the roadway.

There is no right or wrong answer in these cases because there are too many variables.

Of course the bus had 'mass' in its favor.

Had the driver of the car stayed in the left lane of the road the bus driver action in hindsight would have permitted the car impact the side of the bus which we know from the Cottonwood MN bus accident a few years ago can be more deadly than a head on crash.

As it turned out the end results of the bus driver's action yielded good results for the kids but the question that I raised could the accident been avoided perhaps had the bus driver treated the car more like it was a deer by not trying to leave the roadway?

It appears straight braking by the bus would have prevented impact due to the angle of the car when it crossed the line. The car in front of the bus got luck I expect in his/her mind.

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #9  
Z

This school bus accident video supports my training of the kids to stay in your lane to decrease your risk. There can be no 100% right answer. Beside
s the legal issues there is the law of motion. In this case most likely the car was passing so for the bus to go left was not possible. Had the bus not left its lane the car in error may have missed or just clipped the bus.

It is not just rural 2 lane roads...
I was passiing another truck on the interstate , on a long curve and noticed headlights seeming to be in my lane. When I confirmed that miliseconds later, I just turned the wheel, figuring a side impact was better than a head-on. They got the drunk lady in a Buick 225 traveling at over 100mph stopped 20 miles south of where she entered the wrong Interstate ramp. She didn't hit anyone at 3am.
david from jax

/ Head -On Accident Developing Thoughts? #10  
The driver of the car might have had a cardiac arrest or some other possible medical emergency. Just a thought.

Maybe from the METH in his system ;)

"Driver Raymond P. Kane III, 51, and passengers Barbara Jean Scott, 39, and Jerry A. Carrasco, 30, were each under the influence of methamphetamine at the time of the crash, according to autopsy results released by the Pima County Medical Examiner's Office.

Kane's autopsy revealed that his blood tested positive for amphetamines and marijuana, and his urine also tested positive for cocaine and oxycodone. Carrasco's blood tested positive for amphetamines, marijuana and oxycodone, while Scott's blood tested positive for amphetamines."

Drugs found in 3 who died in car-bus crash