Haying with your McCormick

/ Haying with your McCormick #1  

Drsmile

Tractor
'10 McCormick CT50U / John Deere 650 / Bobcat 873 / CAT D3
Anyone use hay equipment with their McCormick? I have a CT50U (about 39-40 on the PTO) and need to start haying 18 acres of fescue and Bermuda here in GA. I want to use a square baler. I am looking at used square balers, disc cutters, tedders, and rakes. The problem I am running into is there is no data on hp requirement for some of these items, so I am leary to buy as I don't know if my machine has the muscle. Anyone with ideas?

chris

/ Haying with your McCormick #2  
Most small square balers will work with a 35 hp pto.
How do you plan on using the baler?Flat land or hilly? Towing a wagon behind or letting the bales fall in the field? etc.

/ Haying with your McCormick #3  
You can run almost any small tedder or take.

Tractor will have HP for sqaure baler, but might not have weight for hills, or towing wagon

You can power up to a 4 disk mower.

Hayed for years with a 42 PTO HP utility, weight and size needed for bigger equipment.

/ Haying with your McCormick #4  
You can run any small baler with that. I first used a 22 hp Yanmar with my JD14T baler, a NH479 mower and a NH 56 rake. Didn't have live power, either. Just needed a smooth clutch foot.

/ Haying with your McCormick #5  
You shouldn't have any problems. I have used a 32 HP Mahindra for the last three years to bale 10 acres (flat land). I use a MF sickle, IH bar rake, and an IH square baler. Of course, I would like to have a 60 HP cab tractor, but I don't see that happening for awhile.

/ Haying with your McCormick #6  
I ran a Massey Ferguson 124 bailer (small squares, two twine) with my Mahindra 5525 (55 hp engine, 45 hp pto). The operator manual says the minimum hp for the 124 is 33 hp (pto).

Balers this size have been operated successfully with much smaller tractors. This photo shows a Farmall Super A operating a small square baler. The Super A has about 16 hp (pto).

Farmall Super A and small square baler.jpg

Some small balers have on-board air cooled Wisconsin engines that typically run 20 hp (pto). Tractor pto not required for this type baler.

Good luck