Hay yield

/ Hay yield #1  

John Fitzgerald

Gold Member
Tractor
XJ2025H same as NH Boomer 24
Neighbor only got 22 large round bales off of 6.4 acres of my hayfield today. That seems to me like a poor yield. I think the soil is wearing out. It gets turkey litter about once every 14-16 months or so.

/ Hay yield #3  
what kind of grass ? How many more cutting can you get this year .

Here that's about normal avg for each cutting . and if you get 3 then your doing very well and avg over 10 bales to the acre. Soil test is needed and Then fertilize to test . then at least 50# of N to every ton of hay removed

/ Hay yield #4  
Here's one example from KY. My 15 acre, a measured not guessed 15, yielded 85 4X5 bales that weight 1000lb. The 20 year average is between 75 and 95 bales. This is of course the first cutting and will likely yield 1/2 to 2/3's that on a second cutting this fall with no additional fertilizer. Ph as of Sept of '17 was 6.4. In March of this year I broadcast a N-P-K of 60-70-90. 75% grass/25% legume. Grasses are KY 31 fescue, Potomac Orchardgrass, Perennial Ryegrass, Bluegrass, and Climax Timothy. Legumes are Medium and Kenland red clover and Will ladino clover. Also a very small percent Buffalo Alfalfa. Not bragging, but recordkeeping is recordkeeping and bales are bales. If interested I can go look up the protein and TDN levels of past years.

/ Hay yield
First cutting is tall fescue. Second, third, and (sometimes) fourth cuts are Johnsongrass and Bermudagrass. I don't get anything out of it, but the fields get cut 3-4 times and don't grow up in tall weeds and bushes. I simply thought the yield was pretty low.

/ Hay yield #6  
First cutting is tall fescue. Second, third, and (sometimes) fourth cuts are Johnsongrass and Bermudagrass. I don't get anything out of it, but the fields get cut 3-4 times and don't grow up in tall weeds and bushes. I simply thought the yield was pretty low.

I dont know anything about fescue, All i have is bermuda and bahia , I can achieve those numbers with bermuda but it requires Inputs of NPK .

/ Hay yield #7  
I dont know anything about fescue, All i have is bermuda and bahia , I can achieve those numbers with bermuda but it requires Inputs of NPK .

And the removal rates (and needed replenishment rates to maintain yields) of NPK and other nutrients depend on the forage -- http://extension.missouri.edu/mcdonald/documents/compressed Hay Fertility1.pdf.

Screenshot 2018-05-30 at 9.18.29 AM.png

Steve

Last edited:
   / Hay yield #8  
And the removal rates (and needed replenishment rates to maintain yields) of NPK and other nutrients depend on the forage -- http://extension.missouri.edu/mcdonald/documents/compressed Hay Fertility1.pdf.

View attachment 556444

Steve
My recommended rate is 50# of N per ton of hay removed. It is paramount to getting quality and quantity off of a field . I see so many people mining the fields and always looking for more hay ground when they could do more with less if they simply applied according to soil test and actually tried to build up the soil.

/ Hay yield #9  
Well, a soil test couldn't hurt. Check with your local county Cooperative Extension office -- Free Soil Testing in Arkansas - Free soil testing for Arkansas Residents
Steve
That is the best advice anyone can contribute, which applies to anyone growing crops anywhere. And the examples in other comments can be an eye opener.

A soil analysis actual saves money and increases crop production. Saves money by telling you just what and how much lime, fertilizer, calcium, etc. is required for the particular crops being raised. Over fertilizing or too much of one nutrient actually hurts production and wastes money.

When we maintained an orchard, I had a soil analysis done every three years and a leaf analysis done every 6 years. Of course an orchard is different than a hay field. The leaf analysis told the story of just what nutrients the trees were absorbing and how much and what they were lacking. Wasn't free, but worth the cost.

/ Hay yield #10  
That is the best advice anyone can contribute, which applies to anyone growing crops anywhere. And the examples in other comments can be an eye opener.

When we maintained an orchard, I had a soil analysis done every three years and a leaf analysis done every 6 years. Of course an orchard is different than a hay field. The leaf analysis told the story of just what nutrients the trees were absorbing and how much and what they were lacking. Wasn't free, but worth the cost.

Many (most?) land-grant universities offer soil- and other-testing services for nominal fees, and in some cases the soil tests are free to instate residents. Here's a listing of the testing services offered by Clemson -- I suspect other land-grants offer similar services.

Screenshot 2018-05-30 at 10.06.58 AM.png

Steve