Hay Farmers getting out of farming

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #442  
People's opinions on fuel prices is interesting to me. At $2.00 a gallon, it was high. At $3.00, it doesn't need to go any higher. At $4.00, we can't survive. AT $5.00, no, we can't go on. At $4.80, we have some relief, everything is going to be fine.
It is only one part of the total.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #443  
People's opinions on fuel prices is interesting to me. At $2.00 a gallon, it was high. At $3.00, it doesn't need to go any higher. At $4.00, we can't survive. AT $5.00, no, we can't go on. At $4.80, we have some relief, everything is going to be fine.
The only good thing I see is that I've got an excuse for not mowing the yard.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #444  
It’s definitely too high. But I just noted that our gas has dropped to $3.76 this week from almost $4 last week. Diesel has dropped from $5.09 to $4.75. Still about $1-2 per gallon too high, but movement in a better direction.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #445  
Also funny that everyone is getting excited about the suspended sales tax in some places. Either they are already stealing road maintenance money for projects that money is not for or the roads are going to have reduced maintenance. Ohh by the way they want you to drive electric so that doesn’t contribute any money (right now) for road maintenance. Anyone not seeing a new federal/state tax on the horizon has blinders on.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #446  
It’s definitely too high. But I just noted that our gas has dropped to $3.76 this week from almost $4 last week. Diesel has dropped from $5.09 to $4.75. Still about $1-2 per gallon too high, but movement in a better direction.
Sounds like sales tax.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming

Yeah when diesel goes from 2.25 to 5.15 in 2 years, then drops back to 4.79, its not a reason to be relieved or happy.
I was happy to find off road for $3.99 today. My tank wasn’t exactly empty, so I ended up only being able to fit about 62G.
$250!

1647896511229.png

Last edited:
   / Hay Farmers getting out of farming #448  
N
Sounds like sales tax.
No they haven’t changed tax. The price per barrel of oil has also dropped in the past week. Don’t know if this is a trend or just a fluctuation. Here’s an interesting article that was in my local paper yesterday:

Last edited:
   / Hay Farmers getting out of farming #449  
I haven’t bought chemical fertilizer in years.
Theres a free supply of effective mushroom compost available to us. As much as you want. Heck, some of the suppliers will even spread it for you for free.
I have also seen a sharp increase in the number of small beef operations and horse owners looking for “close to organic, if not 100% organic“ hay.

In MY area, many customers are getting away from chemicals.
Everything is “chemicals.” Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, carbon, plants don’t care how the molecules were created as long as they are available in the correct proportions. An NO3 molecule in a bag of fertilizer or in a cow pie is the same exact thing.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming
Everything is “chemicals.” Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorous, carbon, plants don’t care how the molecules were created as long as they are available in the correct proportions. An NO3 molecule in a bag of fertilizer or in a cow pie is the same exact thing.
No doubt, but try telling my customers that LOL :ROFLMAO:
Also, check the price difference between cow pies/mushroom compost and bags of granular N or liquid N.

1. I can rent a turd hearse (like the Artex below) for a month for $1,000 and fertilize over 300 acres.
2. That same 300 acres would cost $15-$20,000 in “chemicals”.

I’d get higher yield from #2, but no way would it cover those expenses.

1647902620561.jpeg

Last edited: