hawthorne shrub cutter

/ hawthorne shrub cutter #1  

wawajake

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
Well I attempted to attach my straight shaft gas powered brush cutter to one side of my tractor bucket (attaching it to the tooth bar and at bucket top lip) but that idea did not work at all. I am attempting to control the hawthorne shrubs that invade a particular 3 acre field I have . I have manually tried cutting them with this gas powered brush cutter , I have tried digging out the bigger ones by the roots and I assumed I got the main roots..........but the following year there is a circle of new growth around the old dug up section or cut ones that seem to grow extra fast .
It is only a field I want to save for hay or open space for deer, but these hawthornes be-devil me. :mad:

I suspect this would be a good excuse to buy a brush hog or flail mower.
and cut them each year until the roots give up.

Any suggestions ?

/ hawthorne shrub cutter #2  
You can treat the cut stumps with undiluted Roundup or another appropriate herbicide soon after cutting. This will eliminate or seriously reduce sprouting.

/ hawthorne shrub cutter #3  
Well I attempted to attach my straight shaft gas powered brush cutter to one side of my tractor bucket (attaching it to the tooth bar and at bucket top lip) but that idea did not work at all. I am attempting to control the hawthorne shrubs that invade a particular 3 acre field I have . I have manually tried cutting them with this gas powered brush cutter , I have tried digging out the bigger ones by the roots and I assumed I got the main roots..........but the following year there is a circle of new growth around the old dug up section or cut ones that seem to grow extra fast .
It is only a field I want to save for hay or open space for deer, but these hawthornes be-devil me. :mad:

I suspect this would be a good excuse to buy a brush hog or flail mower.
and cut them each year until the roots give up.

Any suggestions ?

Do you have the English Hawthorne plants that have the big thorns? They grow wild up here and will get to be huge trees. I Had 4 stumps over 3' across that were taken down probably 6-10 years ago by the former owner. We get sprouts coming up 100' from the stumps including all over the neighbors yard. Lots of luck. We pull them when small and/or keep them mowed. Same as blackberries, you have to keep them from leafing and then the roots will die from starvation. Lots of luck. They are worse than the moles.

Ron

/ hawthorne shrub cutter
Not that big maybe 12 foot high , 5 inch trunk when mature and almost same width of tree as height , but thorns on the branches are 1 to 2 inches long and so you can't even put them thru chipper after cutting , too difficult to handle

moles are easy compared to these

/ hawthorne shrub cutter #5  
Hawthorne's are one of my favourite trees. We have had a wet spring and I had to wait until yesterday to get these photos. It's raining again today.

These were small "shrubby" trees when we moved here 8 years ago but we have gradually got them to a more manageable shape.

I have added another to the other side of the house (the little one in the third photo) and plan to add one more.

What's that saying?...

"One man's meat is another man's poison"....:)

Attachments

• r20120608_Hawthornes_1 (1024x768).jpg
    r20120608_Hawthornes_1 (1024x768).jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 142
  • r20120608_Hawthornes_2 (1024x768).jpg
    r20120608_Hawthornes_2 (1024x768).jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 171
  • r20120608_Hawthornes_3 (1024x768).jpg
    r20120608_Hawthornes_3 (1024x768).jpg
    735.8 KB · Views: 111