Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #1  

JATO_RaT

Veteran Member
The Fabulous Foothills of Northern California
Have you developed that \"seat of the pants\" HST

Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST control with your tractor? You will know what I am talking about if you have. It's difficult to descriibe but exceptionally valuable when mowing over rough terrain. I have certainly picked it up over the years and consider myself somewhat of a pro at it. Basically it is the ability to almost instantly reduce/speed up your ground speed based on feel. I'm pretty sure the primary source of input is through the front axle/tires. When a bump is felt, I subconciously know just how much to reduce my forward speed to almost eliminate the bounce. It's analogous to the use of the hand controls in a skid steer. Perhaps it is the combination of the treadle pedal design Kubota uses, perhaps a learned ability that some develop. At any rate, it works exceptionally well. I find in various areas of my grass areas I will be mowing at 3.5 mph and almost instantly down to 1 mph and right back to 3.5 mph. The major impact of bounce and jounce are for the most part eliminated. I was thinking about this the other day while mowing and if any other Kubota owners were taking advantage of it.

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #2  
Re: Have you developed that \"seat of the pants\" HST

<font color="blue">Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST control with your tractor? </font>

At first I thought, no, even with almost 500 hours (tach hours) on my larger tractor in just over 2 years, I don't think I have...

Then after reflection...yes, I think I have devleoped it. When I feel suction on the set of my pants, my speed drops to almost zero...nothing much flat where I live... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #3  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I feel suction on the seat of my pants, my speed drops to almost zero)</font>

When exactly do you feel suction on the seat of your pants? I mean, there's this little hole at the base of the seat to let the water run out if you leave the tractor out when it rains, and I can imagine if you were sitting there and a piece of plastic or something blew by and covered the hole, that then when you went to stand up, you might be stuck to the seat because the hole wouldn't be there to let air into the gap between you butt and the seat. Is that when you feel suction on the seat of your pants?

Cliff

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #4  

pucker factor of a different kind? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dont get hurt Henro, we need your witt here

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #5  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ...there's this little hole at the base of the seat to let the water run out if you leave the tractor out when it rains)</font>

This just gave me an idea, borrowed from the Twin Otter bush pilots I flew with in Alaska many years ago - take a big funnel, attach a hose to the small end, route the hose through the hole in the bottom of the seat pan (or just through the floor board like the pilots), and Voila! No more getting off the tractor to drain the ol' radiator. Less piss time = more seat time. Of course it goes without saying that if you are a Kubota owner, use a very large funnel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #7  

Cliff,

You may be on to something there. Both my Kubota seats have no holes in them to let water drain off if it rains. They do hinge forward though, so the back acts like a little roof when in that forward position...and they do stay dry then.

My wife has falsely accused me in the past of spending too much time having fun on those tractor seats. Until now, I never had a counter argument worth a grain of salt.

After reading your post, it is clear to me now I was not there having fun, but rather due to the design defect in the Kubota seat, ie, lack of the drain hole, I was simply stuck there and could not easily remove myself from the tractor.

So I sometimes have to work my way free and worst case it can take hours to accomplish this task. Might as well do something with the tractor while I am trying to free myself.

Trouble is the wife is pretty smart and will soon come up with a solution for this problem. Knowing her, it will likely involve feeding me something, like beans and franks, so that I turn into a gas-charged self-extracting tractor operator who cannot use the design defect excuse anymore... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #8  

<font color="blue"> Trouble is the wife is pretty smart and will soon come up with a solution for this problem. </font>
Henro
How about drilling a hole? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #9  

Maybe for one time you could tell her you think that non-Kubota-owning jealous neibour may have rigged the tractor, 'cause you thought you heard a click when you sat on the seat, so you can't get off of it for several hours, just to be safe, of course! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Have you developed that "seat of the pants" HST #10  

Yea, I can relate to what you are talking about. My foot automagically adjusts the speed of motion when I'm mowing or doing anything else...and it's an almost unconscious thing. That's what I really like about the hydro trans!