Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #1  

Paddy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, G5200, KAMA 454
Hello,

I have 3 large triple pane window glass panels that need to be replaced. The insulated glass panels are manufactured in Denver, 1000 miles from me. And before you ask about getting made local, they are special heat mirror film as the inner "3rd" pane. The life time warranty was lost when the company went under. The new owners still make the products but did not buy the liabilities....

The cost to ship them here is almost $900. The glass is $450 total for all 3 panels. We drive to Denver a few times a year to visit the grand kids and I considering hauling the 3 panels back on my trailer. I would construct an "A-frame" to keep them up right. The last panel I got under warranty it was shipped in a 2 x 6 lumber frame, very beefy. They are round top panels, 52 in wide, 66 inches tall.

My trailer is 4' x 8' and the leaf spring make for a soft ride with some weight in it.

The route is all freeway except 10 miles, down I-70.

Am I crazy?

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #2  
Shipped close to vertical and kept from banging or bouncing around in packing crate I see no reason that you could not haul them. Trucking company would be doing a similar process with a whole lot less care on tying them down securely.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #3  
Just be certain that you have a GOOD way to secure and protect them - in transit.

Also - check and grease the wheel bearing on your trailer. This is going to be a loooong trip for that little trailer. Be sure the tires are in good shape too.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #4  
I just noticed our local glass shops truck yesterday. It had a somewhat A frame setup on a pickup truck. I’d talk to the local shop and see if they have any free advice or maybe a better source for shipping.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #5  
Before I put them in a trailer I would consider renting an enclosed truck instead. (Assuming that you don't have a pickup.) The trailer may seem to ride smoothly yet it's still going to be more prone to bouncing.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #6  
One tip: get the tire inflation load tables for your trailer tires and then inflate/deflate to match the load. (Use a certified scale) It will make a world of difference in how smooth the ride is for your windows. The same if you rent an enclosed truck or trailer. Tire pressures are typically referenced to max load, not actual load, and full pressure will result in a very stiff tire, which is going to transmit more impact to your windows.

I would also look for lots of high density polyethylene foam (pool noodle type) to help absorb road shock vertically and laterally, and recheck it often.

Given the length of the trip and expenses, have you thought about buying an extra window or two?

All the best,

Peter

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #7  
Peter's idea to buy an extra window or two is thinking outside of the box. I "good posted" him, but wanted to mention the specific reason. If you're buying 3, the 4th one would keep the load balanced.
His comments on matching tire pressure to load also excellent.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #8  
Peter's idea to buy an extra window or two is thinking outside of the box.
X3

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance.
Wow, all good suggestions.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #10  
Why buy them again if they failed? Move on to something else.