Hating cancer; it took my Mom

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #31  
My mom's passing was hard on my dad. They were married 50 years +1 day when she died of cancer. We had a small anniversary party for them at the hospice center. Dad had been planing it for a couple years and wanted to do it for her. Mom loved roses. Several years ago when they moved into the house dad still lives in, dad transplanted her rose bushes. Every year as soon as they start to bloom he keeps fresh roses on her grave.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom
There was an extended family reunion the day after my Mom passed; had been planned for months.

My Mom had been working with my uncle to have three small anniversary cakes made to surprise us; my bother, sister and I all have our anniversaries this month(August).

My uncle set up for fishing at the reunion(we did not go considering mom passed day before). Anyways, when they were kids, my two uncles convinced Mom that she could catch fish in a bucket using a fishing pole. Multiple times they got her to sit for hours(I think she was 4 or 5) trying to fish in a bucket of water.

At the reunion my uncle set up a bucket and pole, and had some plastic angel fish in the bucket, in memory of Mom.

We are keeping a close eye on our Dad.

My mom's passing was hard on my dad. They were married 50 years +1 day when she died of cancer. We had a small anniversary party for them at the hospice center. Dad had been planing it for a couple years and wanted to do it for her. Mom loved roses. Several years ago when they moved into the house dad still lives in, dad transplanted her rose bushes. Every year as soon as they start to bloom he keeps fresh roses on her grave.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom
Today is my birthday. It is the first since Mom passed. I miss that early morning "Happy Birthday" call...

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #35  
Could not believe that I came across this thread as I sit in my bedroom next to my mom who is unconscious and dying from this disease. She moved in with us awhile back in hopes of recuperating from her last cancer related surgery. This surgery after fighting cancer on and off for over 50 years in various parts of her body. The woman is a true warrior and always came back victorious. The surgery was a success, but at 78, knocked her for a loop. Sadly, she has lost this most recent battle as the cancer spread then to other parts of her body and they only gave her 6 months. That was a little over a month ago, and I suspect she may not make it through the night or a day or so more.

To all those who have lost loved ones to this dreadful disease, my sympathies.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #36  
I lost my mom April 5th 2011 at only 53 years old to stage 4 cancer not to longer after they told her she beat breast cancer. Cancer is a horrible thing, I miss the heck out of her.

I wish all of you the best, Rye.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #37  
Lost my dad in 2000 to lung cancer, my mom in 2006 to pancreatic cancer, my father-in-law in 2015 to lung cancer. I'm into my 2nd chemo drug now myself for lung cancer. Discovered in December, 6 rounds chemo and declared in full remission in May only to have it return in June. Every day is precious.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #38  
My uncle set up for fishing at the reunion(we did not go considering mom passed day before). Anyways, when they were kids, my two uncles convinced Mom that she could catch fish in a bucket using a fishing pole. Multiple times they got her to sit for hours(I think she was 4 or 5) trying to fish in a bucket of water.

At the reunion my uncle set up a bucket and pole, and had some plastic angel fish in the bucket, in memory of Mom.

Dang. Got something in my eye and my eyes are watering....

My mom has survived two battles with cancer. She is alive but the cancers and treatments have tore her up. :(

After the first cancer, she went back to the doctor for the final check to be declared cancer free and that scat was back. :mad::mad::mad: Talk about mental torture. Think you have this stuff beat and it is back. :mad::mad::mad: The second round really put a hurt on her but she "beat" the cancer, however, it was a Pyrrhic Victory in many ways. She has said over and over, if she knew what was going to happen with the second set of treatments, she would have just rolled the dice and taken her chances. She would have lost the die roll since her cancer was so bad but what the treatment did to her mentally and physically was awful. You make your decisions and that is the best you can do. :(

Sorry to hear about your mother. It s....s is a poor word for it. Both for what she went through and the loss to the family.

We just lost my father in law. Good man who is missed. He was in the first Special Forces unit meaning he was in the first unit formed back in the day and he was a in the first group that joined the unit. He was 18 or 19 if I got the dates right. I don't think you could get in that young today.

Anyway, my wife had gone down to his house on a Saturday to get DNR and other legal documents signed since his health and of his wife was pretty bad and getting worse. That Monday the wife took them to the doctor for a check up and he died right in front of her. :shocked: The nurse was talking about what he needed to do for his health and he died. Just that simple. Just that fast. They got his wife out of the room and my wife told the nurse call the code and get a crash cart. The wife used to work in a hospital and her old training turned on. :D Her sister came back into the room with the DNR which was handed to the doctor and that was that. They had to turn off the pacemaker and defib since it was doing what it was supposed too. Dying s...s but his health was so bad we were trying to figure out if and when they had to go into a home. As it was, he died quick and he got to live his last days in his dream house in the woods. Can't ask for much more than that and his future was not going to be good. He was just existing not living. <sigh> I sure miss him.

At his service, two old Army vets gave his wife a flag and played taps. They were there on their own time and dollar which I knew so I told them thank you. We had a good long conversation later on. Good men. I had read about men doing this and I was glad they were there for my father in law. They drive around going to veteran funerals performing this service Just Because They Think They Should. :thumbsup: Good Men. I wish I could have done better than a simple thank you... Tis not enough...

At the funeral, FIL wanted Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Hear played and it was. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The Baptist preacher said that this was the first service where he played Pink Floyd and it was something he would not forget! :laughing::laughing::laughing: Danged song rips you up in a funeral service...

I don't know all of what my father in law did in the Special Forces since he would not talk about it until the few years. I do know he was a small arms expert, a medic and an explosive expert. I think one of the reasons he was accepted into the Special Forces is that he grew up hunting, fishing, swimming, boating and playing with explosives. He apparently knew how to set off small mushroom cloud devices. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: He lived near a Fort Fisher which was a major battle during the Civil War. At the time, the fort was owned by a family he knew and they gave him permission to dig at the fort. He dug up live cannon balls, old swords, long arms, and bodies. :shocked: At the funeral, the story was told about him being reported to the POlice for having explosives in a detached garage. Two officer's visited and started messing with the cannon balls. He told them they were mishandling the shells and sure enough they went boom. :shocked: Apparently nobody was hurt but a windows in the neighborhood were blown out. :confused3::laughing::laughing::laughing: The police chief made the officers pay for the damages. :D

I mention all of this because family was at the house last weekend cleaning things up so the house could go on the market. They went into the attic and found what looked to be a piece of dynamite, a couple of land mines and a grenade. :confused3: Now, this surprised me because he would know not to have dynamite and explosives in the attic, and frankly, it would be out of character of him to have the stuff. Better to be safe than sorry so the bomb squad was called. :D The dynamite was a flare. The mines where paper weights and the grenade was a demilled grenade. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry for the long winded story but you gots to remember the good times we had with those that are gone. And sometimes they leave you reminders in the attic so they won't be forgotten! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #39  
Dang. Got something in my eye and my eyes are watering....

My mom has survived two battles with cancer. She is alive but the cancers and treatments have tore her up. :(

After the first cancer, she went back to the doctor for the final check to be declared cancer free and that scat was back. :mad::mad::mad: Talk about mental torture. Think you have this stuff beat and it is back. :mad::mad::mad: The second round really put a hurt on her but she "beat" the cancer, however, it was a Pyrrhic Victory in many ways. She has said over and over, if she knew what was going to happen with the second set of treatments, she would have just rolled the dice and taken her chances. She would have lost the die roll since her cancer was so bad but what the treatment did to her mentally and physically was awful. You make your decisions and that is the best you can do. :(

Sorry to hear about your mother. It s....s is a poor word for it. Both for what she went through and the loss to the family.

We just lost my father in law. Good man who is missed. He was in the first Special Forces unit meaning he was in the first unit formed back in the day and he was a in the first group that joined the unit. He was 18 or 19 if I got the dates right. I don't think you could get in that young today.

Anyway, my wife had gone down to his house on a Saturday to get DNR and other legal documents signed since his health and of his wife was pretty bad and getting worse. That Monday the wife took them to the doctor for a check up and he died right in front of her. :shocked: The nurse was talking about what he needed to do for his health and he died. Just that simple. Just that fast. They got his wife out of the room and my wife told the nurse call the code and get a crash cart. The wife used to work in a hospital and her old training turned on. :D Her sister came back into the room with the DNR which was handed to the doctor and that was that. They had to turn off the pacemaker and defib since it was doing what it was supposed too. Dying s...s but his health was so bad we were trying to figure out if and when they had to go into a home. As it was, he died quick and he got to live his last days in his dream house in the woods. Can't ask for much more than that and his future was not going to be good. He was just existing not living. <sigh> I sure miss him.

At his service, two old Army vets gave his wife a flag and played taps. They were there on their own time and dollar which I knew so I told them thank you. We had a good long conversation later on. Good men. I had read about men doing this and I was glad they were there for my father in law. They drive around going to veteran funerals performing this service Just Because They Think They Should. :thumbsup: Good Men. I wish I could have done better than a simple thank you... Tis not enough...

At the funeral, FIL wanted Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Hear played and it was. :laughing::laughing::laughing: The Baptist preacher said that this was the first service where he played Pink Floyd and it was something he would not forget! :laughing::laughing::laughing: Danged song rips you up in a funeral service...

I don't know all of what my father in law did in the Special Forces since he would not talk about it until the few years. I do know he was a small arms expert, a medic and an explosive expert. I think one of the reasons he was accepted into the Special Forces is that he grew up hunting, fishing, swimming, boating and playing with explosives. He apparently knew how to set off small mushroom cloud devices. :shocked::laughing::laughing::laughing: He lived near a Fort Fisher which was a major battle during the Civil War. At the time, the fort was owned by a family he knew and they gave him permission to dig at the fort. He dug up live cannon balls, old swords, long arms, and bodies. :shocked: At the funeral, the story was told about him being reported to the POlice for having explosives in a detached garage. Two officer's visited and started messing with the cannon balls. He told them they were mishandling the shells and sure enough they went boom. :shocked: Apparently nobody was hurt but a windows in the neighborhood were blown out. :confused3::laughing::laughing::laughing: The police chief made the officers pay for the damages. :D

I mention all of this because family was at the house last weekend cleaning things up so the house could go on the market. They went into the attic and found what looked to be a piece of dynamite, a couple of land mines and a grenade. :confused3: Now, this surprised me because he would know not to have dynamite and explosives in the attic, and frankly, it would be out of character of him to have the stuff. Better to be safe than sorry so the bomb squad was called. :D The dynamite was a flare. The mines where paper weights and the grenade was a demilled grenade. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry for the long winded story but you gots to remember the good times we had with those that are gone. And sometimes they leave you reminders in the attic so they won't be forgotten! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks for the story. I really enjoyed it.

Sorry for your sorrow Robert. I pray for those with cancer daily, and I pray for cures and breakthroughs in treatment of this horrible disease. We just had a 60 something year old guy at church get pancreatic cancer. He was told if he fought it, he could last for sometime, and that if he didn't fight it, he would maybe make it a month. He decided not to fight it. He lasted about a month.

/ Hating cancer; it took my Mom #40  
Sorry for all of you that have lost someone to this disease and here's to those that have survived it. I lost my father to multiple myeloma in 1995. Several other relatives to other forms of cancer. But, I have many more that have survived it. As they used to say, they can put a man on the moon, but.... :confused3: