Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #1  

Wooddust

Silver Member
Tractor
JD3720
lsrb87528_1__24880.1410134161.460.460.jpg

What is involved in changing out the wheels on this splitter to a 15 inch trailer wheel?

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #2  
Just curious why you want to change them? If they are bigger they will just get in the way more. As a rule I don't like those 8 inchers either but on a logsplitter I would leave them on.

That said, and if I may add, I had a cheapy 4x8 trailer with those tires on and ran it behind a motor home with a motorcycle in it from coast to coast for years and only had one blowout when I moved my kid to Pennsylvania from Wisconsin. I was running truck about 70 something and the trailer had around about 1000# in it.

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace
I was considering it because it would raise the machine making it better on my back and Id be more comfortable towing it. As is I load it on a trailer to move it very far.

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #4  
I understand the desire to go big. I have the same wheels on my splitter and I bent a rim on a pot hole.
Small wheels go all the way into pot holes and with little tire to rim depth it's easy to bend a rim. Only problem is if you go to something taller, then when you swing your splitter to the vertical position you will need to place a block underneath the end. Or you have to relocate the axle up higher. I just avoid taking my on the road.

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace
Good points...

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #6  
I'd like to go with bigger wheels, too. Beeforty summed it up pretty well - aside from towing it with a vehicle, those little wheels drop into every dip and rut in the field when I'm trying to move it to where the wood is. I keep one of these "trolleys" hitched to it to make moving it easier:
trailer trolley.jpg
... and bigger wheels would really help. Beeforty is also right that just putting bigger wheels on the present axles would make using the splitter in the vertical position a royal pain. So the axle would have to be moved up (and maybe forward?) to keep the tires out of the way and to allow the vertical setup sit flat on the ground.

Last edited:
   / Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #7  
I used an old pop-up camper for the frame and axle under my splitter.

IMG_1949.jpg

Install a log lift and you will not need the vertical position.

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #8  
the picture looks like the wheel and hub are one piece, I would pull one of them and see if a 4 or 5 bolt hub could go on the spindle and if it can put new hubs on and then get the rims you want and tires and put them on,

if the spindle is not interchangeable, most like one would have to cut off the old spindle and weld on new ones,

pull off the wheel or a better picture of the wheel may help, and measure the spindle and length to any machining and repost (one will just have to search out to see if there is a hub that is inter changeable), possible the manufacture has an option, but by posting a picture and the measurements some one may just know,

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #9  
What all is involved depends on what your skill level is.

Some steel and some old hubs of some old piece of farm equipment and weld them on. Did that on a huskee 27T.

On the splitter I built, I just built it on top of a ford 8.8" rear end.

I like the larger wheels as they roll much easier by hand. I typically am splitting on a concrete pad, and even small pieces of bark made the small wheels almost impossible to move the splitter

/ Hate those 8"wheels, want to replace #10  
If they are separate hub/rims, then you can probably change the hubs to five bolt which matches a lot of old Chev rims