Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue?

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #11  
Gear oil is actually made for lubricating things exactly like the front end. And even what my dealer recommends.

They only use UDT from the factory so they can fill a every tractor with only 2 oils.....engine and whatever goes in the trans (UDT or SUDT). And less of a chance of someone putting gear oil in the trans/rear

So basically....UDT/SUDT in the front is not because its better. Its only a convenience/cost thing for the MFG

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #12  
My manual recommends either Kubota Super UDT or 80/90 gear oil. I use gear oil. 1500 hours no issue.
Some recommend hydraulic or if seeping problem then use gear oil. My New Holland Workmaster 50 (2015 model) looks like gear oil. I am guessing past dealership problems of seeping with hydraulic just had gear oil to start with so maybe zvoiding seeping problem?

Attachments

• IMG_1307.jpeg
    IMG_1307.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
   / Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #13  
I've owned 7, 4WD Kubota tractors over the years and have used 80W/90 gear oil in the front axles on all of them without issue. In every case, the SUDT2 oil began to weep past the seals after around 200 hours. It was particularly noticeable during hot weather when the SUDT2 has the viscosity of water. It became routine for me to switch to 80W/90 at the first scheduled maintenance.

It could be my imagination but I don't notice as much gear clatter in the front end with the 80W/90.

It remains to be seen if using gear oil will have any effect on warranty repairs should they become necessary.

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #14  
I restored a 4400 JD tractor ...tractor #2 off the assembly line
with barely any hours on it but had sat outside for many years
and I used 80/90 weight gear oil in the front axle. I figured it
would protect better and not seep through the original seals.

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #15  
I use 85-140 GL5 myself. Always have, always will. Shell Spirax to be exact.

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #16  
Gear oil is actually made for lubricating things exactly like the front end. And even what my dealer recommends.

They only use UDT from the factory so they can fill a every tractor with only 2 oils.....engine and whatever goes in the trans (UDT or SUDT). And less of a chance of someone putting gear oil in the trans/rear

So basically....UDT/SUDT in the front is not because its better. Its only a convenience/cost thing for the MFG
Even my Kubota dealer recommends gear oil in front axles over Super UDT2

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #17  
   / Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #18  
Been using gear oil since I bought my tractor, the manual recommends it.

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #19  
I asked my Kubota dealer what came in the tractor when they delivered. I was told gear oil. It is also much cheaper than udt2.

/ Has anyone used gear oil in front axle (instead of the hydraulic oil that the manufacturer recommends) AND had an issue? #20  
I asked my Kubota dealer what came in the tractor when they delivered. I was told gear oil. It is also much cheaper than udt2.

That stuff is REALLY REALLY expensive.

Glad I read this thread as I will be using gear oil next time I service it.