Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
I'm on another tractor related forum and a person posted they broke off their pto stub on a Kioti but never replied how. My question is how do you do that? In 30 years of farming, I've never broken one and I'm curious as to how it's done.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #2  
-Too sharp of an angle on the PTO shaft
-Using those PTO extenders that people really like to use, specially after they bought of one those quick hitches or anything that extends the PTO shaft further than it's needs, like Over running clutches, etc
- PTO shaft coming out of the implement and basically flopping around till something breaks

Just a few options that come to my mind right away.

Last edited:
   / Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #3  
Here's one example:

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I
Interesting. I always use an over running ratchet clutch on any implement that don't have one built into the driveline, my bat wing mower for one and never had issue one with it. Seems to me that it would take a serious wham bam to break one off. Of course I do make sure my driveline never becomes an interference fit to the stub shaft or the ratchet clutch but I'd think jamming it from lack of shaft clearance would destroy the seal before anything else. I'm always especially cognizant of swing clearances too. On my disc mower. NH provided wheel shields just to prevent that from happening, you get up against the shield before anything bad happens and yes, I've removed the paint from them before.

An over running clutch on any freewheeling implement is almost a necessity on a larger Kubota's because the PTO brake on them is weak and always has been. Not sure about other makes but on large frame Kubota it is and necessitates an over running clutch on any implement that free wheels when toe PTO is disengaged. I know Kubota issued a RO on them but I was never made aware of it (shame on my dealer). Too late now (by a few years) to have it done and it's a very involved process as the PTO clutch pack is only accessible with a split. Like I tell people, you can see it if you pull the back pto carrier casting off, but you cannot reach it to do anything to it.

Was more curious as to how you can break a PTO stub off. Like I said, never have put I guess anything is possible, when you don't think about an application and check the swing angles.

On over running clutches, I use a heavy duty (greaseable one) that is rated for 130 pto horsepower. Most of the ones available on Flea Bay or Amazon are only good for 50 horse maximum, which, in my case isn't enough.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I
My Kubota's are both old style 2 stub shaft tractors so changing from a 540 6 spline to a 1000 rpm 21 spine involves me backing the tractors up a ramp backwards I use my heavy duty truck ramps I built for my 1 ton pickup and getting the backend high enough compared to the front end so when I pull the circlip and extract one shaft to replace it with the other, I don't loose any fluid in the process. Kind of like the old JD shaft swap.

I don't use the 21 spine all that much but when I run my grain elevator I do. It's not a power intensive application and it's 21 spine female.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #6  
You said kioti: cheap casting that wasnt xrayed for conclusions. Unfortunately it is not all that uncommon.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #7  
I broke one on my IH 574 running a hydraulic pump that hung on the shaft.
The 574 has dual shafts so I had to use an extension to get the pump to clear,
it worked for several hundred hours and then the stub shaft broke off.
I have seen one get broken when an implement jackknifed going down a steep grade and tried to pass the tractor.

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #8  
I have seen one get broken when an implement jackknifed going down a steep grade and tried to pass the tractor.
That sounds like a bad day!

/ Has anyone ever broken off their pto stub and if you have, how did you do it?I #9  
I wonder ....... could it be caused by a PTO shaft. Not properly cut. Too long and snaps off the stub when implement is raised.

All of that - plus a defective stub. Poor casting.

You said kioti: cheap casting that wasnt xrayed for conclusions. Unfortunately it is not all that uncommon.
PTO stubs ARE NOT CAST, they are forged and machined from solid steel. It's inclusion, not conclusion btw. Most all stubs start life as bar stock and then are machined and externally broached to develop the splines.