hardly ever weld welder

/ hardly ever weld welder #11  
From Hobarts website-

Amps Input at Rated Output, 60 Hz 230 V: 47.5 A

so no a 30 amp breaker ain't gonna cut it..
They recommend a 50 amp breaker if time delay or 70 amp if a fuse.

Believe it or not Hobart actually has a website where one can look this stuff up:p

/ hardly ever weld welder #12  
I am not the electrician type but i have a little experience with this.

When I built my shop an electrician ran 270' of 4 gauge wire out to supply 100 amp service in my shop. they told me with the distance in reality i probably have about 60 amp service.

I have a miller 180 which is a 220V unit. It is on a 30 amp breaker and works great. I bought a 50' extension cord for the welder so I can use it anywhere in the shop and even out side. The ext cord was $100 and it is 8 ga wire.

If you are looking for something easy to use, you cant go wrong with a MIG IMO. The auto set 180 I am using is idiot proof (perfect for me). I look for things to do with it, and I have welded 5/16" to 22 gauge with good results.

Anytime there is a welding thread there is alway the "take a class advice", in a perfect world that would be great, but if you are just doing homeowner or farm type welding that seems to be overkill, and if I have to take a class to use a tool, I probably am not going to have it.

There will be a lot of people that tell you a mig is not a real welder capable of anything other that making crafts. I bought mine at a reputable welding supply stor. The man I dealt with has been welding for 25+ years. He said MIG welders "ruined" the welding trade. He said it made welding so easy, anyone could do it. I suspect that is where a lot of the venom toward MIGS comes from..... He sure recommended it to me and I am happy with it.

-Keith

/ hardly ever weld welder #13  
I am not the electrician type but i have a little experience with this.

When I built my shop an electrician ran 270' of 4 gauge wire out to supply 100 amp service in my shop. they told me with the distance in reality i probably have about 60 amp service.

I have a miller 180 which is a 220V unit. It is on a 30 amp breaker and works great. I bought a 50' extension cord for the welder so I can use it anywhere in the shop and even out side. The ext cord was $100 and it is 8 ga wire.

If you are looking for something easy to use, you cant go wrong with a MIG IMO. The auto set 180 I am using is idiot proof (perfect for me). I look for things to do with it, and I have welded 5/16" to 22 gauge with good results.

Anytime there is a welding thread there is alway the "take a class advice", in a perfect world that would be great, but if you are just doing homeowner or farm type welding that seems to be overkill, and if I have to take a class to use a tool, I probably am not going to have it.

There will be a lot of people that tell you a mig is not a real welder capable of anything other that making crafts. I bought mine at a reputable welding supply stor. The man I dealt with has been welding for 25+ years. He said MIG welders "ruined" the welding trade. He said it made welding so easy, anyone could do it. I suspect that is where a lot of the venom toward MIGS comes from..... He sure recommended it to me and I am happy with it.

-Keith

I agree, I have a Miller Bobcat 250 Stick and love it. I also have a Miller 185 wire and I wouldn't be afraid to weld something with either welder> I think it boils down to clean steel, concentrate on good penetration and being familiar with your equipment, most of the time you can "hear" when it starts to wonder on you..

I still think moving your welder closer to the supply and giving her a run, would speak volumes on whether you need a new machine and or more power at the shop, which I think you do, but it may would rule out any problems with the welder first at the power source.

/ hardly ever weld welder
Thanks Keith, your post is very useful. It seems migs are a different animal electricity draw wise as are inverters.

Skyco... I did go to Hobarts and as you can see, the specs given are for rated output. What happens if I am not using the welder at rated output? In other words, lets say I am at 140 or 160 ac or at 130 dc, what might be the amp draw and could I then use the generator to run the welder or plug in the welder to a 30 amp backed socket?? Would the machine trip the breaker on a 100' run of 10awg at these settings? I do not know enough about this stuff to configure a ratio believe it or not. I guess in cyber space, you can't see if I have a cabbage on top of these shoulders. Written info is just one resource. People with experience and know how is what I trust more and thus my motivation in posting on a forum that in most cases is populated by a great bunch of people.

/ hardly ever weld welder #15  
The suggestion of getting another generator /welder is getting more complexity into the situation. As usual, I'm not making myself clear. Using the generator out in the garage, would only be a last ditch effort if I could not run a regular line voltage welder of some type..

Buckeye, give me a clue as to what part of my question was previously discussed. Welder types? generator run? line voltage drops? Perhaps I can continue to search as I did before I posed the question with the correct search phrase. Otherwise, your post is not helpful.

Now for you electrician types. I am to understand that 10 gauge is 30 amp wire, At 220 volts, would 10awg wire be sufficient to run the Hobart 235/160 ac/dc welder with a dedicated 30 amp breaker or does this machine need a higher rated breaker?

Welding - I want to learn ..need advice. - Page 12 - TractorByNet.com

This thread was similar, debating AC, AC/DC welders vs Mig, lots of suggestions to take classes, etc. Didn't necessarily address running welder from a generator, but when the first response to your post was "take a class" it reminded me of this thread. No offense was meant to you or your question.

Regarding wiring, don't think you should run any AC/DC welder on 10 awg wire, but turn it down and you might be able to. Last one I wired was on a 60A circuit I think, was a long time ago, kind of forgot...

/ hardly ever weld welder #16  
I have the Hobart AC/DC Stickmate. According to the manual which I have attached, you can run this welder on 12 awg wire up to a distance of 87 feet with a 50 amp breaker due to the duty cycle of the welder (page 15). The outlet must be labeled welder only. Using the 10 awg wire you may get away with 100 feet. However, if anything else is on this circuit which if I understand correctly a dryer is and it is feeding everything in the garage, then this setup is not an option. I did not see this mentioned in the previous posts and this is not the way I would set up my welder, but I thought I would mention it. Had to compress file due to size. It is a PDF. Also attached is a screen shot of page 15.

Terry

Attachments

• Stickmate.JPG
    Stickmate.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
   / hardly ever weld welder #17  
NEC 630.11 shows derating table based upon the duty factor of the welder to be used in determining wiring size.

/ hardly ever weld welder
Ok Buckeye, thank you for your help. I'll look it over. I really didn't care which welder I would get only which welder would be applicable for my circumstances and is the reason I did not go into "which welder should I get" territory where people debate which is the easiest to use. I'll weld with my wife's temper if I have to. (hmm, that's an idea)

Emmy, that was extremely useful information. The dryer is not on the garage circuit. The garage circuit is on one dedicated 10 gage line with nothing in between. When I attempted to open up your diagram my computer stated it was "corrupted" and would not open up. I'm thinking of putting the welder socket right next to the service in the garage or about an 8' run from the service. The garage can remain totally quiet and off as nothing else is on it beyond lights and sockets. I do wonder what the Hobarts diminishing returns are as electrical supply gets longer and amps go up. I'm thinking 150 amps tops for my situation and 140 amps on the generator. DC is a whole nuther situation where I'd probably get even less. That Northern inverter type 200 mig/stick welder looks interesting. I dunno who's making that for them as it just says "Northern" on it. Looks like alot of welder for $600. I'd paste a picture of it but it is not allowing me to.