Rear Finish Mower Hard surfaced mower blades worth it?

/ Hard surfaced mower blades worth it? #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
I have the option of purchasing 3 mower blades for my Farm King 84" finish mower that are hard surfaced. Regular ones are $90 with shipping. Hard surface ones are $150 + shipping. Anyone out there a fan of either? Would like an opinion if the double-price is worth it. Thanks.

/ Hard surfaced mower blades worth it? #3  
I really like the Oregon blades with the "fusion" coating, they seem to go considerably longer between sharpenings than the standard blades.

/ Hard surfaced mower blades worth it? #4  
I times past I would hard surface the blades on the bush hogs I've owned, if done correctly they will take a beating and hold up very well BUT if the person does not know what they are doing the hard surface will chip out as has already been stated. I would have to assume store bought hard surfaced blades would be done properly. For regular mowing I do not believe the difference in price would be worth it, at least to me.

/ Hard surfaced mower blades worth it? #5  
To me, it depends on the environment. I had lots of sand at my previous place, it was like sandblasting the blades every time I mowed. Hardfacing was well worth it. My current place doesn't have any sand, just clay and rocks. I don't see a need for Hardfacing here, except for backhoe teeth.

/ Hard surfaced mower blades worth it?
Thanks guys. After the dismal performance of the last set which were NOT hard surfaced and 3Ts comment about sand which is all I have, I ordered the hard surfaced ones.