Hard Starting 2210

/ Hard Starting 2210 #1  

kayssupply

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 207
I have a YM2210B that starts way to hard. Once it hits it will purr like a kitten. At running rpm it has good power. It will smoke to high heaven while trying to start. It has what seems to be good compression, as hard as it is for the starter to turn it over. It has zero blow by while running at all rpms. The thermal start is working, and I use the compression release while trying to start it. I have tried starting at low throttle,medium and full. It won't do anything unless it is at almost full, until it hits, and then throttle down and runs great.
It has new air filter,fuel filter, and drained and fresh fuel. Does anyone have an idea of where I need to start to make it easier to start?

/ Hard Starting 2210 #2  
Have you checked your muffler for being plugged? I have heard of strange problems caused by this and even had hard starting and low power under load on my car because of a "bad on the inside" muffler.

/ Hard Starting 2210 #3  
Just to rule it out, I would take a compression test. Or move to a warm climate....tough call on that one.

/ Hard Starting 2210 #4  
Here is my top three

1. It is trying to start under load
2. Injector pump timing incorrect
3. Faulty injector

I guarantee it is one of those three, the black smoke indicates it is getting plenty of fuel but also says it is heavily burned fuel. I had a 2210 that did the same thing, the clutch was froze up so it was trying to run the (transmission) hydraulic pump, with the cold hydro fluid it was just to much load for it to start if when the shuttle was in neutral. Make sure your clutch isn’t frozen. You could have a semi plugged return line from the engine hydraulic pump which is causing load, it would be somewhere on the pressure side of the system like in the three point. Call me today or tomorrow if you need any help.

Buck

/ Hard Starting 2210 #5  
<font color=blue>...black smoke indicates it is getting plenty of fuel but also says it is heavily burned fuel...</font color=blue>

Hi Buck...

I thought most of the time the "black smoke" mostly indicated "unburnt or raw fuel" (like an injector pump timing problem... somebody fiddled with for more hp?) /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

By the way... how's those great loaders you build... you really should sell them nationwide... you provide lots of value for folks...! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Hard Starting 2210 #6  
Pour 2-3 ounces of transmission fluid into the intake. If it fires up easier then you have a compression problem.

Thanks,
Bruce

/ Hard Starting 2210 #7  
Pour 2-3 ounces of transmission fluid into the intake. If it fires up easier then you have a compression problem.

Bruce could you explain to the rest of us this tranny fluid trick
and why it works?

/ Hard Starting 2210 #8  
The transmission fluid will make the the rings seal better for long enough the start the tractor. By sealing the rings, it will raise the compression to what it should be if it is low.

/ Hard Starting 2210 #9  
Be careful on the ATF trick. It does work, but if you pour too much in you could hydraulic lock the engine, and that generally bends a rod. ATF will not compress and the combustion chamber area on a diesel is very small. Of course you could put in the ATF, let it set for a while to get down in the rings, then turn it over just a couple of times with the compression release pulled then fire it up. I'm thinking that method would be fool proof.

/ Hard Starting 2210
Thanks all. It has a new muffler that is straight through. No baffles. I'll try some of your ideas tomorrow. I'll let you know the results. If they don't work, I have a very good injection shop to take it too next week.