Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
OK... I give.

I believe I know the problem, but have not determined a solid cure.

I知 hanging 16 and ?0 tube gates on newly built fence. 8 posts driven into the ground 3+feet.

Gate 1 went well and gate hung correctly. Moved to gate 2...and the wheels fell off.

I believe I inadvertently drilled the holes just slightly out of parallel, which causes the gate to 喪un down hill as if it is out of level. I can get it perfectly level when closed, but upon opening, it is clear there is a problem. The top hinge bolt is slightly to the open side, compared to the bottom hinge. The holes are correctly started and distance is correct, but after inserting the bolts, they clearly are not in exactly the same alignment. I壇 say they are off by 3-5*. This results in the protruding portion being offset and thus, the gate falling open.

When drilling the holes, it 都eems like they are parallel, but the results show differently. I drew é¼*ines to follow etc, but the bottom hole seems to be the one which is å�Œff? When I知 down on the ground drilling a hole 13 off the ground on a 5 post, the angle is getting off slightly and messing things up.

Now that I have the holes drilled I知 in a quandary.

1. Do I redrill the top hole higher, moving the hinge on the gate, but trying to get it parallel to the bottom direction?
2. How do I insure both holes are drilled parallel?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #2  
You can loosen the hinges on the gate, twist them until the are right. They don't have to parallel. (lots of adjustment - also, you can screw one lag bolt in more to get it level.)

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #3  
A level is needed to insure a good plumb alignment. Sometimes if the lagged hinge studs are only slightly off, a big hammer can make an adjustment. In your case, bend the top stud to the right and the lower one to the left, slightly, and retest. Other times I've been able to spin the clamp slightly too, which moves the gate and how it hangs.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #4  
Your holes are not plumb. Align the top and bottom holes with a level or a plumb bob.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel.
The holes began plumb. But my angle of drilling is slightly off, which causes the bolt to protrude at an off angle.

This is my problem... drilling them the right direction consistently.

Taking a sledge to the bolt might be the best option.

I tried loosening the shackle and rotating it, but it didn’t seem to make enough difference.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #6  
The holes began plumb. But my angle of drilling is slightly off, which causes the bolt to protrude at an off angle.

This is my problem... drilling them the right direction consistently.

Taking a sledge to the bolt might be the best option.

I tried loosening the shackle and rotating it, but it didn’t seem to make enough difference.

Yeah sometimes the wood grain pulls the drill bit and you end up with different angles.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #7  
My neighbor installed two gates into the pasture at my place and the holes were so far out it looked awful. I made a metal band to go around the post and redrilled the top holes. The band reinforced the top of the post and now the gates hang and swing correctly.

To drill the holes in parallel I aligned the drill with a rod that I had inserted into the bottom hole.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #8  
U can wallow out one of the holes (I would work on the top one) and tap the hinge bolt until it is plumb with the bottom bolt. Then stick a shim ( couple of sixteen penny nails, couple twists of barb wire, or whatever u have on hand) into the wallowed hole to keep the hinge bolt from shifting.

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel.
To drill the holes in parallel I aligned the drill with a rod that I had inserted into the bottom hole.

I think that is the trick! Drill the bottom first, insert a rod to keep angle visible. Then drill top hole to match. I was drilling top hole first and my bottom hole was always off.

Thanks!!!

BTW, I took a sledge hammer to the bolt and nudged it over a bit. Fixed my problem and you’d never know it had happened. But I think PMSmechanic’s idea is the ticket!

/ Hanging tube gate. How to ensure holes are parallel. #10  
I did this a few times. Made wood plugs for the incorrect holes, drove them into the holes with waterproof glue and redrilled a day or 2 later. I didnt want to leave an open hole to let deterioration begin.