Handy Trick For Moving Trailer

/ Handy Trick For Moving Trailer #11  
Shuckins; here I've been pulling a trailer around for years with the three point and now I'm suppossed to change.

Egon

/ Handy Trick For Moving Trailer #12  
Dad got 2 old (I'm assuming for the N series Fords) swinging, telescoping 3pt drawbar hitches and slightly modified them to fit on a bigger 3pt arm. Really a wonderful adjustable hitch when you can move it in 3 axis' for hooking up! I've been using them for 25 years or more.

With that said, it can be _very_ dangerous. Going down a hill (I have many) or trying to stop fast or using a 2-wheel tail-heavy trailer....

If you leave the hitch kinda high & I'm pulling a 200 bu farm wagon (12,000lbs) and go down a hill, the wagon pushes me - a lot. Since nothing is holding down the hitch, it swings up to maximum height - kinda fast. With the angle of the hitch, the hitch pin gets sheared off, with the wagon pole sort of aimed for my head now - and 12,000 lbs pushing in that direction.

This is a serious, real, very dangerous situation. I must think of it every day & keep the hitch low in such conditions.

It really, really takes your breath away when that 3-point slams up! Don't take this too lightly.

I understand the original poster had a safe condition & is only using the 3pt to lift the hitch to couple onto his solid drawbar. Just want the others reading this to think their actions through so they don't put themselves in harm's way. Those 3-point drawbars are real convienient, but when you are around a tractor & machinery always think through the bad things that can happen, and plan for it.

--->Paul

/ Handy Trick For Moving Trailer #13  
I couldn't agree more with rambler.
When I mentioned about the 3pt drawbar it goes without saying safety comes first with any machine or "rigging "operation.
The 3pt does give versitility as compared to the "standard" draw bar. Years ago I did alot of work with a 3pt bar. I wasn't implying its use exclusively over a regular draw bar.
You just have to understand the limitations.
GrayBeard

/ Handy Trick For Moving Trailer #14  
Restraining the 3-PTH from comming up while towing...

Bad River Inc. makes a nice receiver hitch assemble...
the chain attaches to the the top of 3PTH and the "fixed" drawbar under the rearend...

3pthitch-large.jpg

Dave...

/ Handy Trick For Moving Trailer #15  
One thing to watch for on those bars is the holes in a cat 1 bar are about 7/8" so you might have to get a smaller shank ball. You can find those at any decent farm store. The one I use on my truck for example has a much bigger shank.

This is a pretty neat alternative to using the 3ph.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45238