Hand held flexible shaft - motor... higher torque low speed.

/ Hand held flexible shaft - motor... higher torque low speed. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
I need a 叢ower source for a project I am working on.

I believe a long legible shaft attached to a higher HP/torque motor would work. But, the ones available which I suspect would work are Suhner motors costing from $1K and up. Since I知 not sure my project will ultimately 層ork as intended? I知 not willing to go that route at this moment. Should it turn out and be a reasonable solution to my needs, I壇 have no problem doing so.

I知 not sure of my exact 喪equirements therefore coming up with a HP requirement is beyond my current knowledge. What I do believe is that I need a higher torque, lower RPM MOTOR. I壇 prefer the shaft to be 疎s long as possible but at least about 5 at a minimum.

I have no experience in higher powered machines. I have a small 1/3hp flex shaft hanging machine I use for small cutting and grinding. This is not anything like I would need.

I thought about the shafts which attach to a grinder, but again know nothing about them.

If you have any experience with this type of thing, I壇 appreciate any direction. I知 really trying to gain some direction to at least try something so I can determine whether my direction needs to be altered. I suspect I壇 need at least 1hp perhaps more. Just a guess, but a reasonable starting point.

/ Hand held flexible shaft - motor... higher torque low speed.
Pushing back out.

/ Hand held flexible shaft - motor... higher torque low speed. #3  
high torque and flexible don't generally go together. i have run into issues using high torque motors on flexible shafts, think sewer cleaning, it literally explodes into a ball/nest when the torque goes through the roof, gets dangerous fast.

good luck though

High torque... in my case is probably an overkill term. I just can’t have the little Dremel type motors. And I don’t really have a frame of reference so a regular torque motor might be just fine, it just needs to keep a 4” rotating blade moving at a consistent speed while cutting memory foam.

/ Hand held flexible shaft - motor... higher torque low speed. #5  
Why not use an air cut-off tool or die grinder type tool?

It’s something I’ve thought about. But I’d like the simplicity of a speed controllable motor if possible. I don’t need anything 20k RPM I’m not sure of the optimal RPM, but I don’t believe it would be that fast. I need something nimble which will allow me to move it easily in many directions as well as light. It might be that air turns out to be the best option. It was my first thought. But I’d still like to look at all options.