Hammer Flail vs Forestry Mulcher vs Brush Hog vs Brush Hog with chains.

/ Hammer Flail vs Forestry Mulcher vs Brush Hog vs Brush Hog with chains.
How big are the branches that you want to cut up? How much HP do you have? How much land are you wanting to maintain?
For tractors, I think the "new" Landini Trekker 60F will get dedicated to brush duty.

It is just under 60 HP. I'm still working on it, but it can be started, it runs, drives, and turns. PTO appears to be reversible 540/1000.

As far as branches, most branches larger than 3" or so will get cut into firewood... unless one gets overwhelmed. But that will leave quite a bit in the 1" to 3" size. As well as just some general mulching under the trees.

Acreage? Not a lot. Mom has about 5 acres in oak that will on occasion drop a bunch of limbs. She also has about 5 acres in a scrubby pear (apparently wild rootstock) that may also be wetlands. And a few other patches.

I have about an acre or two in pretty large fir that will occasionally drop large numbers of branches. And it just needs to be mowed under them. I also have an acre or so of small scrubby maple that needs some maintenance. And another acre of blackberries that could go. The blackberries are too steep to be comfortable.

That Landini will be good for hills up to some extent, but I will have to evaluate if it will go into the steep areas with the blackberries.

Anyway, much of this is long term maintenance duty.

As far as clearing, about 30 years ago my parents had about 7 acres cleared by dozer. A lot of work with the burning and making the field. But it ultimately became a nice hay field. A few years later they had the other back 5 acres mulched, but then allowed it to all grow back so it is just as wild as it was before the mulching. Thus mulching to take down trees just isn't a one and done solution.

/ Hammer Flail vs Forestry Mulcher vs Brush Hog vs Brush Hog with chains. #12  
The Fecon dealer in middle Tennessee rents mulchers to commercial users who carry enough insurance coverage to meet their requirements. They basically told me I couldn't afford to rent one. I ended up paying $185 an hour to have someone mulch with a Cat 299 equipped with a Cat mulching head.

There seems to be a limit of about 5 -8 inches where it's too much to mulch, especially if it is laying on the ground.
CDN$4K/wk for late model 100HP CTL with FECON head rental around here = $100/hr + fuel + operator

Rental Insurance included

/ Hammer Flail vs Forestry Mulcher vs Brush Hog vs Brush Hog with chains.
As far as FECON, there is a unique one for sale on Facebook (and Craigslist) in Idaho.

2007 Rayco/Fecon FTX 90. $21,000
That price is about the same as the bare mulching heads seem to go for.

That machine apparently is missing the Final Drive, and I can't locate a single one listed on the internet. If available, I'm guessing around $20K for the parts, or perhaps double that for both sides.

The FTX-90 apparently had a unique history that they originally were built with a 90 HP Deutz BF4M2011. And, most of them blew the engines resulting in a lawsuit, and the reason the Facebook machine now sports a Cummins engine.

I've thought about that machine. I'd definitely want to have a strong line on the replacement parts, or a plan to get them before purchase.

But it is way too much machine for my needs, and too limited in application. And at around 20,000 lbs, it would push the limits on my ability to haul and move it.

Nonetheless, it is available for those with adventurous spirits.