Half acre stock tank investigating

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #1  

SSweetland

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1739e
I am a pretty fast study on operating machinery. My goal project is to dig a half acre stock tank on my property.

The more I look into it, the more options arise, so wanted to ask, which would be the most cost effective tool to rent to dig out my current wash area into a stock pond?

Seen video of being dug with a back hoe, a bobcat or a bulldozer. All seem like they are decent tools for the job, but each requires a special touch. My question is more in lines with, which would be easiest for me to operate and complete the project, or is this a project that I need to leave to professionals?

Project is in North Texas, budget is my biggest issue currently.

I'm also clearing trees and brush from the same area. I am pulling most of the smaller stuff out with my bucket, but not all are possible. Honey locust infestation in the area, so those roots run a long way

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #2  
Guy down the road had an area maybe that size dug out to have the material moved to build up a home site. Two or three large scoop type Earth moving machines (possibly Cat 657Gs) worked several days.

/ Half acre stock tank investigating
I have ample area to spread the dirt. Pretty much need a source of water for a pump to my garden and to manage some excessive run off. Will likely have to pull my driveway culvert and reset it too while I am at it. Seems to be getting pushed under the drive now

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #4  
Biggest time eater is getting rid of the dirt. Digging is easy!! The more HP you have, the faster it goes. I did two ponds with my full sized backhoe. Basically dug with the how and made a big pile, then hauled it out one yard at a time with the bucket. Smaller pond was 1/4 acre, larger was 3/4 of acre. Bigger pond was a full month of hauling dirt out of the hole and dumping it next to the hole. Took a few more months to haul it off in my dump truck to the corner of my land. When I dug my 4 1/2 acre pond, I did all that with a 170 hp bull dozer. I had the use of a Deere 450G which was something like 80 hp and too small to break through the ground or push very much material. That was better for smoothing and shaping a loose pile of dirt, not breaking through hard clay. The bigger Case 1550 was a good size for this, but it still took my two years to clear the land and then dig it out. I piled all the dirt up around the low side and created a dam almost a thousand feet long. It's very wide with a easy to mow slope, which was perfect for the dozer. If I was to dig another pond in the size you are thinking of, I would probably do it with the bigger dozer, then sell it when I was done. But of everything that I have, the backhoe is the most useful. If you are going to buy something to dig the pond and keep it, then get the biggest, 4x4 backhoe that you can. Having a cab with AC and Heat is even better, but not something that I have. I wish I did!!!

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #5  
You didn't state how deep you are going;a large excavator would be fastest.

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #6  
I am a pretty fast study on operating machinery. My goal project is to dig a half acre stock tank on my property.

The more I look into it, the more options arise, so wanted to ask, which would be the most cost effective tool to rent to dig out my current wash area into a stock pond?

Seen video of being dug with a back hoe, a bobcat or a bulldozer. All seem like they are decent tools for the job, but each requires a special touch. My question is more in lines with, which would be easiest for me to operate and complete the project, or is this a project that I need to leave to professionals?

Project is in North Texas, budget is my biggest issue currently.

I'm also clearing trees and brush from the same area. I am pulling most of the smaller stuff out with my bucket, but not all are possible. Honey locust infestation in the area, so those roots run a long way

Hire an earth moving contractor.
Get a bid FIRST!

/ Half acre stock tank investigating #7  
I'm in Denton and probably on the same clay soil you're on. The best combination I've seen is two machines working together. An excavator that loosens the soil and a dozer that pushes it out of the hole. Other than building the dam, the most efficient (and less wear and tear) is for the dozer to push straight line out of the hole (like spokes on a wheel). You'd be amazed at how many yards of soil you can make disappear by spreading it out over the surrounding area.

/ Half acre stock tank investigating
I'm in Denton and probably on the same clay soil you're on. The best combination I've seen is two machines working together. An excavator that loosens the soil and a dozer that pushes it out of the hole. Other than building the dam, the most efficient (and less wear and tear) is for the dozer to push straight line out of the hole (like spokes on a wheel). You'd be amazed at how many yards of soil you can make disappear by spreading it out over the surrounding area.

I am on the very south side of Sanger, yes, the soil is horrible! When dry, like concrete, when moist, like snot (I can almost dig with my bucket on my 39hp if I could get enough traction). I have 7 acres of property that needs some form to manage runoff. We are near the bottom of a hill, so we get a lot of washed out soil from above, and not much organic matter in the soil, just like silt. We have a wash behind our property and near the front, but water stays on our pasture for quite a while before running off.

Still in the investigating point of doing this project including determining the water management plan for the rest of the property, but I have come to a few conclusions, and agree, the 2 machine option is going to be a must since I do have to move the soil to other parts of the property.

We are raising goats, and have a couple of donkeys, so I do need to make sure I leave enough grown pasture for them while doing this