Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #1  

sleuth

Silver Member
Tractor
between tractors
Was on my work this morning thinking about how sometimes it would be nice if I had 120V AC power when working out on my property. Got to thinking that maybe you could rig something up using the PTO on the tractor. Anybody ever done anything like this?

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #2  
I believe these are called PTO generators.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO.
Yeah, I shoulda searched first. Just found a ton of threads after I posted. Feeling kinda dumb. Wishing there were a delete thread option.

Maybe I'll edit the post to be something completely different so I don't look like such a dummy.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #4  
Yeah, I shoulda searched first. Just found a ton of threads after I posted. Feeling kinda dumb. Wishing there were a delete thread option.

Welcome to my world of hoof in mouth disease..

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #5  
Welcome to my world of hoof in mouth disease..

Then as we get older we suffer from CNS... Can't Remember uh... Stuff!

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #6  
I suffer from ????? I forgot. sorry.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #7  
They say the only stupid question is the unasked question.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #8  
I have seen small two bearing alternators(generators) bolted off to the side of the front of the tractor, and ran by fan type belts,

and years ago, 1973 I had bought (still have it) what looked like a generator on a old 6 volt tractor but was wired for 120 ac, and it would mount on the side like a generator and ran by fan belts, it was about 1200 watts, or so,

really a small carry all, or set of forks on the three point and a small 120/240 generator would be easer the majority of the time,

I have a 10,000 watt alternator/220 amp welder, now and thus having power is not an issue but in the past I found putting the old 3500 watt generator on the truck was easer, and normally better than the under the hood unit I had in 1973,

but the pto units are good, there is not another motor to maintain,

but get your transfer switch set up and the hook up cords you need made up and so on before you need them in an emergency, (my BIL did not and wired it up wrong in the cold and blowing snow and ended up blowing out about half of there electrical system and items, (I think the dryer, one of their furnace, some other electronics, and a big tv and other smaller items) so it is good to do it when your not pressured, and in need, and get help if you have doubt,

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #9  
I have a little inverter. Cost less that $100 and is decently heavy duty. Depending on what you need power for, these things work great. Obviously a different tool than a generator, but if you want to run something small, it does the job.

/ Had an idea. Harvesting electricity from your PTO. #10  
I have a couple of these harbor freight generators They're cheap and run forever on a tank of gas. They're light to carry. I throw it on the ATV rack when I need power at a remote location.