GX270 Electric start conversion

/ GX270 Electric start conversion #1  

JimR

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti NX4510HST
Has anyone done one of these conversions? I see the kits selling for under $100 online. I have this motor on my Northstar 37 ton woodsplitter. I think having an electric start would be so much easier to start up.

/ GX270 Electric start conversion #2  
I start my similar sized generator engine running on propane with a cordless drill.
I was making up a bendix drive system with socket of the correct size (23mm) welded to it but my next try will be with a power bar rachet to act as the bendix drive.
You need a drill with some guts.
I have made these systems for two of my brothers and both love them.
I buy a cheap recoil starter on line, remove the guts and drill a large enough hole for the socket to fit thru. This to keep rotating parts separated from fingers.
forum rachet drive.jpg

Dave M7040

/ GX270 Electric start conversion
I start my similar sized generator engine running on propane with a cordless drill.
I was making up a bendix drive system with socket of the correct size (23mm) welded to it but my next try will be with a power bar rachet to act as the bendix drive.
You need a drill with some guts.
I have made these systems for two of my brothers and both love them.
I buy a cheap recoil starter on line, remove the guts and drill a large enough hole for the socket to fit thru. This to keep rotating parts separated from fingers.
View attachment 772488

Dave M7040
Very interesting idea. I don't have a powerful cordless drill and would need to buy one of them. I personally like the idea of just turning the key and letting it fire up.

/ GX270 Electric start conversion #4  
See this thread:

/ GX270 Electric start conversion
See this thread:
The kit comes with a coil for charging the battery. I think it goes inside the flywheel.