Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #61  
Many years ago, I'd lend stuff out and got burned more than once.No more.

Now, my reply is I'll help you with my equipment. Free. (And I graciously make sure I'm the ONLY operator.)

No loaned equipment. Np money changes hands. Np bartering. ZIP. Makes for good friends/nieghbors and limits risk. :)

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period
Yes and no to renting stuff out. Look at rental rates for say, a pressure washer; 2 weeks rental covers the entire purchase price. Same with say, a 120v electric concrete mixer, vibratory plate compactor, post hole auger, ect. Honestly, if it last 6 months, you've made your money back 10x. Walk behind tillers, ect.

Light-Heavy equipment; renting the small Kubota TLB is what, $600/week end? Probably $400/day, $900/week; wouldn't have to rent it out often to cover depreciation/payments. Plus, it still has value on the used market. Let's say, for arguments sake, it looses 80% of its value over 5 years of heavy use. Purchase, let's say $25k; 25% rental time @ $900/week; that's $11,700/year. You'll do just fine. Just got to come with an insurance plan for the rental agreement; which passes the cost to renter.

But this would all have to be based on actually depreciating/wear on the the equipment; not like the guy in the Orginal Post said.

Years ago (probably 15-20 years ago) I worked for a traveling multi-family construction company. Every single job, superintendents would buy and then keep a pressure washer and generator. Construction manager got sick of it; said we are just going to rent that stuff; we rented a pressure washer for probably 5 weeks; at $250/week... would have been cheaper to buy it, and somebody keep it, and buy another on the next job.

Edit: I pretty sure, at the end of the project, we had to go get the rental again for another week. We also still had to buy all the hoses, ect

Try $404/week now; same exact model is $2950 out right purchase.
Screenshot_20230521_140123_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230521_140304_Walmart.jpg

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #65  
You can rent a 310 for 2000/month?? Are you sure? That seems way low. That's about $100/day. I'd have thought it would be that much an hour. Or do hours cost extra? Maybe that's it.

rScotty
Local rental place.

$2250 to be exact

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #66  
People rent equipment to run the crap out of it and what can the owner do if its returned no so perfect
I rent alot of equipment. I also have purchased a mini excavator so I dont rent those anymore.

I assure you I run my own equipment just like I do rental stuff. So not sure what is meant by "run the crap out of"......It aint a car/truck rental....its a tractor/dozer/excavator/whatever....made to be run WOT, and play in the dirt

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #67  
I agree LD. It's hard to abuse a tractor. I guess I run the crap out of my stuff too. It was purchased to use, not keep washed and waxed under a garage.

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #68  
Actually, it's quite common in semi-rural areas in Canada. When farmers have a few spare utility tractors sitting in a shed/barn that they won't use all winter, they rent them out to snow removal contractors which take care of all the maintenance/repairs/liabilities for winter. I know first hand because I did that 25 years ago. They just go around, put a snow blade on front and blower out back. Saves them the capex and the farmer pays for some of the payment on it instead of it just sit unused and gather dust in a shed. The ones I rented them to always took good care of the equipment and returned them in pristine condition. But with that said, I wouldn't rent an open cab for snow blowing, that'd be a tad thick from a contractor point of view ;)

/ Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #69  
Riddled with problems, issues, ending loss for both parties and anger!

Also consider this - $1750 x 6 = $10500 rent. Probably another $3000 maintenance (1000 Hrs). Total cost might be $13,500 rent loss.
Much better to simply buy a new tractor, use it, and 6 mo to a year sell it. You would not loose near that much reselling a near new low hour tractor.

That would be my view as a private owner with only one tractor. Commerical use may look a lot different. A private owner views a tractor as an EXpensive tool and someday wants to take advantage of resale, maybe for one more new tractor or to recoup part of the purchase price. The private owner hopes to be able to work needed, but in many cases, reale is an important part of owning any tractor.

Commerical users, including farmer will probably choose to keep the tractor as long as it will do the job for them. And keep running. And look to add machinery as needed and operations grow. still keeping the lighter equipment for the lighter jobs.

I can think of only one think better than owning a tractor. Own 2 tractors. Ha!

Last edited:
   / Guy is renting out his tractor for 6 month period #70  
Friends often wanted to borrow my car hauler after I bought one.

I handed them $40 and said "Here, go rent one." They looked puzzled, but I explained that it was most likely cheaper for me to pay their rental than to fix my trailer afterwards.

I have no problem towing things for others, or doing backhoe work, or whatever, but do want to be in control of my equipment. If I break it I can be mad at myself, which I much prefer over being angry with someone else.