Guard for Brush Cutter/Trimmer

/ Guard for Brush Cutter/Trimmer #1  

TMAC

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 TC45DA w/SuperSteer
Ok.. TBNers. I haven't done much research on this yet but, I'm guessing there's probably a quick answer.... hopefully.

I have a decent crop of white pines that I planted 1.5 years ago as 1-3year old seedlings(roughly 2500-2700 still alive and doing well despite the damaged caused by the deer). I can get between the rows fine with my rotary cutter going north and south for example but, I either have to push mow between them, use the riding mower(which is a rough ride) or use my brush cutter using a star blade when going east and west.

My question and problem is...... I like doing the close trimming with the brush cutter w/star blade but, it drives me insane trying to be careful as to not actually cut the tree itself. Is there any gaurd on the market that one can use to protect the zone between the star blade and the obstacle which in this case is my trees in order to get close without worrying so much damaging my white pines? Any help or experience is appreciated. :)

/ Guard for Brush Cutter/Trimmer #2  
My brush cutter came with a guard that covers the back 1/4 to 1/3 of the blade (the side closest to the operator). When I need to be careful around an object, I try to stand so the guard is on th eside of the object I want to protect.

You'll also notice that if the blade does catch and throw your cutting head, it will throw it in the opposite direction of the blade spin. If your obstacles aren't too close together, you can use this to your advantage... position your cutting so it throws the head away from your obstacle, rather than towards it.

John Mc

/ Guard for Brush Cutter/Trimmer
Thanks John for the response. I do use that technique to the best of my ability. My rows or trees are far enough apart where I'm safe from the cutter jumping on me and cutting my other trees. I'll probably have to stick with that technique as I'm not to sure there is a product of such that I'm looking for. Thanks bud.